UC50 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC50

Options
paries1
paries1 Community member Posts: 380 Pioneering
Hi everyone, could I use older letters from therapists that say “ im not fit to work at this time “ from my previous therapists ( they are a few years old ) . I have older psychiatry reports that I’ll def include just not sure about the older dated letters . 
Also could I use same evidence for my pip claim ? 
TIA

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It doesn't matter how old the evidence is, if it's relevant to how your conditions affect you then send them. However, if they just state "you're not fit for work" and nothing else then ask yourself is that going to help. In my opinion it won't.

PIP isn't about being unable to work so a statement saying you're not fit for work isn't helpful.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paries1
    edited June 2023
    Options
    It doesn't matter how old the evidence is, if it's relevant to how your conditions affect you then send them. However, if they just state "you're not fit for work" and nothing else then ask yourself is that going to help. In my opinion it won't.

PIP isn't about being unable to work so a statement saying you're not fit for work isn't helpful.
    Ok thanks poppy,  both letters which I got from my 2 previous therapist have more detail about my conditions and struggle but also say not “fit to work at this time “ they are both really good letters about my struggles and conditions it’s just that they are dated from a few years ago and the sentence “ not fit to work at this time “  is my only concern as they are dated from when o was seeing them. I have also asked my GP for a supporting letter particularly relating to PIP but he is kind of useless  so I’m not really hopeful about that . 
    I understand PIP is not about your ability to work but if letters talk about daily struggles surely that’s relevant to both UC50 and PIP? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I inferred from what you said that the letters just said "you're not fit for work" and nothing else, which was why i gave that advice.

As they go into more details than that, then yes, absolutely send them in for both PIP and UC. It doesn't matter how old they are if the information in them still applies.

Letters from a GP are never the best evidence to send because they don't spend anytime with you to know exactly how you're conditions affect you. You can tell them but then it will just be "hearsay" if they charge for letters they write then i wouldn't pay for that. You even said yourself that he's useless.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paries1
    Options
    I inferred from what you said that the letters just said "you're not fit for work" and nothing else, which was why i gave that advice.

As they go into more details than that, then yes, absolutely send them in for both PIP and UC. It doesn't matter how old they are if the information in them still applies.

Letters from a GP are never the best evidence to send because they don't spend anytime with you to know exactly how your conditions affect you. You can tell them but then it will just be "hearsay" if they charge for letters they write then i wouldn't pay for that. You even said yourself that he's useless.
     I have seen and spoken to him quite a bit in the last few months so he understands a bit of what’s it’s been like for me in the last few months, I only asked him because I wanted something more recent as well . 
    When I say ‘ useless’ I might be being a bit harsh as he has referred me to 3 separate clinics. TBH I just think he struggles in dealing with me . 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.