Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Commitments while waiting for PIP decision

Options
Pwisbey
Pwisbey Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi can anyone help with this please

If a person is claiming universal credit, and they are caring for a person for 35 hours a week and that person they are caring for is waiting for a decision on a PIP application, should their claimant commitments be reduced? Is it just the work coach's discretion? 

And also, when do you claim carers allowance, before or after the PIP decision? Because I'm wondering if the CA could be backdated to the date PIP was first claimed otherwise it's unfair to people when a PIP decision takes longer than someone else's. 

Thanks for your help! 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You can't claim carers element unless there's a PIP daily living award so commiments will not reflect that until you claim carers element.

You can't claim Carers allowance until there's a PIP daily living award. If there's an award and you claim it then it can be backdated to the start of the PIP award (providing you claim within 3 months of the decision for the PIP award)

However, when claiming UC there's no financial gain to claiming carers allowance and the same time. This is because it's deducted in full from any UC entitlement. The only advantage to claiming it is that you'll receive class 1 NI credits, where as UC is only class 3.

You don't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pwisbey
    Options
    Thank you very much. 

So the sooner the PIP is done, the sooner the carer's commitments can be adjusted accordingly. Seems unfair to people who have to wait longer for the PIP decision to have to do all the job search stuff, when already full time caring. They can't backdate that part though! 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If they already know you have caring duties then the carers element can be backdated. 

They can’t award the carers element until there’s a daily living PIP award in place. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Pwisbey
    Options
    Yeah I get that. I meant the claimant commitments part can't be undone by backdating it, even though the person will be retrospectively awarded CA, not without a time machine anyway! Which is why I thought they might give you the benefit of the doubt, pardon the pun  o:)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don’t understand the need to backdate the claimant commitments part anyway because it won’t benefit you when it’s in the past. You will need to accept new claimant commitments if awarded carers element. 
  • Pwisbey
    Options
    Yes, sorry that bit was a bad joke, but the point was that they could reduce the commitments now because when(if) the CA gets backdated in the future they will be accepting that the caring was being done now if you see what I mean. 

It's personal to me because I am in that caring role, waiting for my partner's PIP application to be dealt with and the JC have me doing work focused and 'Over 50 choices' interviews, and at the same time caring full time. They have no interest in reducing the commitments. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that commiments will be reduced because at the moment there's no daily living PIP award, so no entitlement to carers element.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.