Claiming dla now — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming dla now

Options
misssmith
misssmith Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi

my son has been awarded dla middle rate personal care from 17/05/2023, he two years old soon to be three in November.

I was told by my work coach to make the changes in my uc and I’ve recently done so but since then I’ve heard nothing.

I’ve been asking on my journal what happens now? Do I pop in job centre with my award notice? Does my uc payments change? But I’ve heard nothing. 

I just want to know what happens to my uc? Will it go down? Or will it just remain the same? I’m tempted to call them today. I’m very impatient.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,025 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @misssmith and a warm welcome to the community.

Your UC should include a disabled child element going forward which is an additional £146.31 a month.

If you care for your child for more than 30 hours a week, have you thought about whether you'll claim the carer element of UC?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • misssmith
    Options
    Hello and thank you @Adrian_Scope

ive just received a notification on my journal I’ve been accepted for the carer element but heard nothing else about the disability child element.

does any of this get backdated like the dla got backdated? 

Sorry am new to this.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    misssmith said:

ive just received a notification on my journal I’ve been accepted for the carer element but heard nothing else about the disability child element.

Sorry am new to this.
    Leave a message under the ‘payments’ category once you know you have actually reported the changes correctly (changing the name of your child and adding your name at the bottom):

Hi.

As you can see from my recent change of circumstances, my child xxxxx, has been awarded Disability Living Allowance at the middle rate care component from 17/05/2023. I would like to request a backdate of the Disabled Child Element and also the Carer’s Element to this date please. The reason for late reporting is because I have only just found out about the DLA award. 

Kind Regards,

• Adrian_Scope
    Options
    misssmith said:

Sorry am new to this.
    When you reported the change did you report under 'people I live with' and add that your child now receives DLA, as well as reporting the change as a carer?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • misssmith
    Options
    Hi, I was told to go make changes under children and other people but I didn’t see an option for dla? I did mention in my journal but heard nothing,I’ve now been told in my journal yesterday to report the change again.I’m no good at technical online forms but I will do.thank you 
  • misssmith
    Options
    I did it wrong oh my,I didn’t know I had to edit my sons name etc I’ve just done it now properly.it’s a shame no one from uc actually walks through this with you, my work coach sent me how to but don’t go in to detail as much.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Options
    Ah I'm glad it's sorted now @misssmith. It isn't in the most obvious place and they really should explain it to people. I hope they update your claim soon. :) 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • misssmith
    Options
    Thanks, it wasn’t, I also find they don’t respond quickly to your messages either, the carer element is added for my next payment has seen on statement but the disiblility element isn’t sorted yet.I’ve asked they said being verified.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    misssmith said:
    Thanks, it wasn’t, I also find they don’t respond quickly to your messages either, the carer element is added for my next payment has seen on statement but the disiblility element isn’t sorted yet.I’ve asked they said being verified.

As you're a carer it means you don't have a work coach so responding often takes a while. Have you put the message under the payment section? Doing this will be a case manager will see it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • misssmith
    Options
    Yes I’m doing it under payment section 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.