STRAP ON SHOES — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

STRAP ON SHOES

Options
geek84
geek84 Scope Member Posts: 107 Pioneering
edited September 2023 in Coffee lounge

Hi Folks,

I wear strap on shoes, but the strap on my right shoe doesn't stick any more.
Is there anything I can buy online (apart from a new pair of shoes) to solve this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,086 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @geek84.
    Could it be that the velcro needs cleaning? Sometimes it gets so full of everyday debris that the hooks in the velcro can't hold on. A small comb or a toothbrush might work to clean it up if that's the problem. 

If it isn't (and this isn't my area of expertise!) but I wonder if some velcro tape would work? You could remove the current velcro, cut the tape to size and stick one side to each part of the strap? You can even buy little velco circles which you could use so you wouldn't need to cut or size it. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • CATP
    CATP Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
    Options
    i second adrian on this,although the strap velcro looks a bit knackered so i dont know if its already past the stage of cleaning it?, you need to carefuly cut off as much as you can and get someone to sew on (if you have an issue with this) velcro-youll probably see it called embroidery or sew on 'hook and loop' tape more often nowdays (like hoover for 'vacume cleaner', velcro is a brand name and you rarely see it as much as you do hook n loop,i buy a ton of it for making PECS).
    you can find it in your local household/pound store,i bought a load a while ago on temu which was well worth the money but theyve since put up the minimum price you need to spend before theyll let you buy anything so only worth it if you hapen to be buying lots already.

ive had an idea.
    i found a grant called independance at home,which will pay out up to £500 to disabled people for a lot of different things for disability.
    the reason i thought of looking, if the reason you need velcro shoes/trainers because of a disability, you can pick some pairs from a medical site where theyre VAT free (usualy due to being classed as a medical device) you shoud be able to get them under one of the criteria sections in the grant. you woud need to get someone like a social worker to refer you however they also acept citizens advice workers.

• geek84
    geek84 Scope Member Posts: 107 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks very much for your suggestions folks

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.