Have you ever broken a bone? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you ever broken a bone?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
I was talking last night to an online friend of mine (well I was moaning about my painful ear lol) and the subject went to injuries. 
He said he's never ever broken a bone and I was suprised anyone has made it to adulthood without. 

I've broken my fingers and toes quite often and my nose once too. Has anyone else never broken a bone??

Comments

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 757 Pioneering
    Options
    Car crash= Scapula, clavicle, ulna and wrist in one go

Football = Tibia and 3 fingers

Forestry accident = Ulna on t'other arm

Nose ... playing football ... taking a goal kick out of my hands, head came down too far and knee up too far.  Splat.  Never really lived that one down
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,412 Scope online community team
    Options
    I've never broken anything at all!

I think some of it comes down to enjoying a lot more gentle inside hobbies rather than things that often cause injuries, but I'm sure some of it is luck and perhaps genetics has a part. Apart from my dad, nobody in my family has ever broken a bone either. Strange considering we're otherwise all a bit medically interesting!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,548 Scope online community team
    Options
    See-Saw accident; Fractured skull.
    Footballing injury; Shattered right ankle and growth plate. Several major operations on this over the years.
    DJing injury; fractured collarbone in two places. (Long story)
    Broken ribs and wrist after a group of gentlemen took a dislike to me. 
    Broken foot after moving around a bass amp.

and several medically induced breaks to try and fix my feet. 

Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not yet.  :#

I watched a friend break a bone when I was about 4 years old and have been terrified by it happening to me ever since.  Even 20 odd years on that event still occasionally pops up in my nightmares!

Funny thing is one of my relatives mentioned this quite recently, saying how unusual it was that I'd never had any major accidents...I had to explain to them that was not an accident in itself, it was mostly because of constant, conscious risk avoidance for as long as I can remember!  :#

There is also a bit of luck in it as well though.  I have had a few minor accidents which could have broken things but either didn't...or only caused a minor fracture and healed without any need for treatment.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,894 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Except teeth and cutting the end of my finger off I have never properly broken a bone and I am almost 30!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I've never broken anything at all!

I think some of it comes down to enjoying a lot more gentle inside hobbies rather than things that often cause injuries, but I'm sure some of it is luck and perhaps genetics has a part. Apart from my dad, nobody in my family has ever broken a bone either. Strange considering we're otherwise all a bit medically interesting!
    I'm a 100% indoor person but still managed to break things :D break and rebreak my toes fairly often walking into stuff in my own house. They've probably never healed properly as I just strap them myself, same with my fingers :D 

It's interesting no one in your family has broken anything either!!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    See-Saw accident; Fractured skull.
    Footballing injury; Shattered right ankle and growth plate. Several major operations on this over the years.
    DJing injury; fractured collarbone in two places. (Long story)
    Broken ribs and wrist after a group of gentlemen took a dislike to me. 
    Broken foot after moving around a bass amp.

and several medically induced breaks to try and fix my feet. 

A fractured skull from a see-saw?!?!!!!! Ouch! How old were you?

Also am going to need the story as to how you fracture a collarbone in multiple places DJing!!!!
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,412 Scope online community team
    Options
    Yes, @Albus_Scope I feel like you need to enlighten us on this one!
    Rosie (she/her)

• Albus_Scope
    Options
    @Biblioklept
    I was a wee nipper. Mum held me on one end, big sis and her friend were on the other.  They slammed down hard and I flew several yards onto the tarmac. I think that shows my age there too haha. 

I used to live a ten min walk from the club I used to DJ at, it was very icy and I was carrying two cases and a rucksack full of CDs.  I slipped after a fox bolted past me, tripped and landed on my front.  
    I thought nothing of it for two days and just thought I'd bruised it until my mum realised I was having issues eating my roast dinner, so was taken to hospital for xrays. Turns out having a high pain threshold can be a bad thing.  :D 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,894 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds like some people here have lived quite a life!!!!!!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,755 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not yet broken a bone (still some time left) a sprained ankle is all I can offer.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 208 Pioneering
    Options
    Broke a knuckle but no pain or anything like that. Realised a month later that a knuckle was missing lol played a lot of football but never even got a sprain. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    @Biblioklept
    I was a wee nipper. Mum held me on one end, big sis and her friend were on the other.  They slammed down hard and I flew several yards onto the tarmac. I think that shows my age there too haha. 

I used to live a ten min walk from the club I used to DJ at, it was very icy and I was carrying two cases and a rucksack full of CDs.  I slipped after a fox bolted past me, tripped and landed on my front.  
    I thought nothing of it for two days and just thought I'd bruised it until my mum realised I was having issues eating my roast dinner, so was taken to hospital for xrays. Turns out having a high pain threshold can be a bad thing.  :D 
    Both stories are equally hilarious but I bet they weren't at the time!!! DJing at a club sounds awesome. I mean also stuff of nightmares for someone like me but awesome at the same time :D  
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    THE_DUDE said:
    Broke a knuckle but no pain or anything like that. Realised a month later that a knuckle was missing lol played a lot of football but never even got a sprain. 
    That's lucky, I always figured footballers would be forever injuring themselves!
  • THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 208 Pioneering
    Options
    Yep, the players around me started dropping like flies over the years with different kind of injuries. I was just lucky I guess.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No don't jinx if now 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    @Biblioklept sorry, I totally missed your reply!

Yeah it's very odd, I used to be really outgoing, but then had a few life issues that turned me into a total hermit with a raging case of social anxiety.  But being behind the decks was a safe place, I think having that physical barrier there really helped.  But thinking about it now is making me sweat.  :D
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • AndyGT
    AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    Options
    Rugby: Broken arm and broken hand (different games)

Football: Broken fingers and fractured cheek bone (again different games)

Car Accident Whilst in the Police Slipped disc, nerve damage and subsequent joint damage (All the same accident and resulting in my current mobility problems.)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.