If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Smoking and PM's speech

Options
13»

Comments

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 572 Pioneering
    Options
    I am being exceptionally civil @Albus_Scope. People don't like my ideas about smoking/vaping but it doesn't mean I am not being civil. People don't like having their belief system challenged, that is all!

In Medieval times life was simple. First, there was God in his/her (our) Universe. Then as he/she looked down through our blues skies on to Planet Earth the next hierarchy were the Lords, the Ladies and the Gentleman. The scholars, the Elder's and the Betters. Then below them were the Serf's like me. The ignorant and the uneducated! And we all sung to the same tune, we all danced to the same music, we all thought the world was flat!

And that is where we are with nicotine addiction! There is absolutely no proof that people smoke due to nicotine addition, but we live on a flat Earth, don't we?

There is nothing in my post that is uncivil or offense. I am off to the theater tonight and no one will be vaping. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/tobacco-nicotine-e-cigarettes/nicotine-addictive
    Trying to be unbiased, I think Steve is thinking about 'dependence,' & smoking being part of a habit/ritual, but there are other reputable sources that mention nicotine addiction. Perhaps the jury is out?

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,094 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am off to the theater tonight and no one will be vaping. 
    I hope you enjoy your evening but you don’t know for certain that no one will be. People waiting outside to go in could well be vaping or even smoking…. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    I am being civil. @poppy123456 Yes, of course there are people anxiously standing on the street vaping & smoking before the show starts, but not in the theater itself. It isn't allowed. The show was a wondrous new production by the LSO, so a concert rather than a show I guess. I was happy I wasn't sitting there pensive and wanting to vape/smoke and to be honest, that is a good feeling. I don't mean to be uncivil. 
  • poppy123456
    Options

I am being civil. @poppy123456 Yes, of course there are people anxiously standing on the street vaping & smoking before the show starts, but not in the theater itself. It isn't allowed. The show was a wondrous new production by the LSO, so a concert rather than a show I guess. I was happy I wasn't sitting there pensive and wanting to vape/smoke and to be honest, that is a good feeling. I don't mean to be uncivil. 

I never said you weren't being civil. I wouldn't have expected smoking or even vaping to be allowed in any building anyway. What people do outside is entirely their choice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I don't think you're being uncivil in the slightest @Steve_in_The_City - just sometimes the moderators are a bit concerned, & make a comment not directed at you, but for everyone. That can be a bit disconcerting, when we're all mindful of the 'community house rules;' I've been there before, & thought 'what?' I'm sure I didn't say anything wrong, but it's just a general thing, as usually we probably 'moderate' ourselves, which is a good thing.
    Your concert sounded amazing, & I'm sure you must have enjoyed it immensely, but perhaps your barb about vapers/smokers was unneccesary, especially as you couldn't know how they were feeling. Your comment therefore sounded a tad sanctimonious.
    Forgive me, as on occasion I play 'Devil's advocate,' but perhaps those are the wrong words....I try to look at both sides of things with an open mind....

• poppy123456
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    I don't think you're being uncivil in the slightest @Steve_in_The_City - just sometimes the moderators are a bit concerned, & make a comment not directed at you, but for everyone. That can be a bit disconcerting, when we're all mindful of the 'community house rules;' I've been there before, & thought 'what?'

Agreed. The issue here is the Albus tagged Steve and agreed with vapor in someone's face. Then underneath that mention about the "house rules" which did make it look like they were referring to Steve. I've seen it happen many times over the years.

Perhaps, the better option would have been to make a separate comment there so it wouldn't seem like it was Steve he was referring to.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Options
    Here is wishing you all good feelings. I think it is best that I drop out of this thread.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    He really is losing the plot ... it's like he wants the Tories in with the mad policies they're bringing in so far ... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-67068405

@Steve_in_The_City ...  healthy debate is good ... we don't all have to agree
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,729 Scope online community team
    Options
    Oh I'm totally up for healthy debate, we just need to be careful with our wording sometimes, that's all.  Sometimes tone doesn't carry across in the written word.  :)

I should've added the house rules in another comment so no one felt targeted, my apologies @Steve_in_The_City. That was a newbie mistake on my part. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.