If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP After 66!

Options
noman
noman Community member Posts: 618 Pioneering
I was recently awarded pip and have just been reading my award letter,my award is from 14th July 2023 (claim date) to 28th September 2026 (day before assessment).

I will be contacted to see if my needs etc have changed after 28th September 2025.

I will be 66 on 28th January 2026.

I have read about an indefinite PIP award after retirement age if receiving PIP before retirement age?

Because my award is till September 2026 (8 months after my 66th) will i automatically get the indefinite award or will i have to have another assessment?

Cofused :/

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,729 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @noman, great to hear they awarded you PIP. :)

If you’re already getting PIP when you reach State Pension age, the DWP will turn it into an indefinite award. From what I've seen online, you should just roll over from your previous PIP award. I'm guessing you would need a reassessment first though?   I'm sure one of our lovely regulars will be able to confirm or deny this. 

Taken from the CAB website;

"If you claim PIP after State Pension age, the DWP will usually give you an ‘indefinite award’. This means there’s no end date. They will usually review the award every 10 years."

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

If you’re already getting PIP when you reach State Pension age, the DWP will turn it into an indefinite award. From what I've seen online, you should just roll over from your previous PIP award. I'm guessing you would need a reassessment first though?   I'm sure one of our lovely regulars will be able to confirm or deny this. 

Taken from the CAB website;

"If you claim PIP after State Pension age, the DWP will usually give you an ‘indefinite award’. This means there’s no end date. They will usually review the award every 10 years."

The word "usually" jumps out here. Not everyone of state pension age will receive a 10 year award. It's only those whose conditions are not expected to change. I've heard of quite a lot of people of this age without a 10 year award.

Yes, an assessment is most likely at review stage. Though it has been known for DWP to just increase the award once they reach that age without any review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 618 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks for the replies,mine is a respiratory condition which i think will stay the same or get worse over time.

A couple of years off yet so will think about it nearer the time!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @noman I'm glad the community were able to help! :) Hope you are having a good day? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.