If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New Claim PiP

Options
MissKitty1973
MissKitty1973 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
edited October 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello and good evening everyone, hoping you are well I am hoping someone will be able to relieve my anxiety, I am an appointee to my son who is 16 years old and has complex needs including ASD/ADHD/Severe Anxiety/Speech and Language Disorder etc, I recently submitted his Pip Form which they received around 25th September, yesterday evening I had a text message from IAS stating they are dealing with the claim and will be in touch in due course etc, I have requested a paperbased assessment/telephone assessment.  However I obviously been lurking in the background and now I have convinced myself I have not provided enough information for example my son due to his cognitive impairments is not able to prepare or cook a simple meal from scratch and that I and or family members cooks his meals daily however I have failed to mention how long he has had his conditions in each part of all the 12 indicators, another example is that he is unable to manage his medications himself so I adminster and manage them on a daily basis I have stated why I need to do this and why he is unable to manage them himself or how long he has been diagnosed with his neurodevelopmental disorders he has been diagnosed since early childhood.  I have sent in copies of his ASD report, SALT, OT, Ed Psych report as well as supporting letters from both his disability nurse and Speech Therapist, what I am trying to explain is that he requires a vast amount of support/supervision/prompts/reminders every day and for me it is "the norm" and basically there is no variation in the support he requires on a day to day there is really no good or bad days per se.  I was wondering whether I should send in an amended version of the continuation sheets which I supplied with his PiP form 2.  Sorry for the long post.  He does also have an EHCP plan but that is currently being amended by the LA should I also send this in as extra evidence?  Do I send it direct to DWP or to IAS? Many thanks if you have got this far, any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @MissKitty1973 welcome to scope, it's most likely that the assessment will be by telephone at which point you will be able to expand on what has already been said, it also has to be noted that there might be quite a wait for the assessment.
    Hope all goes well.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't need to mention how long he's had his conditions for in every question. At the start of the form in section one there's a question that asks how long he's had his conditions for and what conditions he has.

Most people have telephone assessments as woodbine correctly advised. Some are face to face or video. If an assessment is needed and it's not telephone and you prefer this then you can ring IAS to request this. 

Paper based assessments are possible but rare. As his appointee then you will be responsible for answering the questions during the assessment.

If you want to send extra evidence you can and i'd advise you to send it to IAS. Contact details for them are here. https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/contact-us/ 

I will also advise you to please think whether that extra evidence will be helpful and whether it's relevant to the PIP descriptors. Sending multiple pieces of evidence all saying the same thing isn't helpful. Less is very often more.

If an assessment is needed, once an appointment becomes available you will be contacted.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MissKitty1973
    Options
    Many thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
  • MissKitty1973
    Options
    Do IAS have an email address or an address that I can send the additional information/evidence.  Many thanks again.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not that i'm aware of unfortunately. You need to make sure you send it to the correct address.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.