No migration letter, but my free NHS prescriptions have been stopped. Am I still entitled? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No migration letter, but my free NHS prescriptions have been stopped. Am I still entitled?

Options
Shellyj13
Shellyj13 Community member Posts: 69 Listener
I am totally stressing out.I am on Esa in the support group and get Child tax credits.I havnt got my migration letter but my certificate which entitles me for free NHS prescriptions and dental treatment has stopped.I called them and they just said they were told by HMRC to stop it.I have always had this for many years.It is all making me ill.Am I still still entitled? And should I call someone about migration and if so who.I have had a letter from my housing association now too to say my rent hasn't been osud by the council which leaves me in arrears

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    If your ESA is income Related then this will entitle you to free prescriptions/dental and eye tests and I wouldn’t expect you to have a certificate from HMRC telling you that you’re entitled to this. See link https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/prescriptions-and-pharmacies/who-can-get-free-prescriptions/

When I was claiming child Tax credits with my ESA I never once had a certificate. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shellyj13
    Options
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Shellly, 

Like Poppy, I didn't need a certificate as I was exempt UNTIL my Income-Related ESA was stopped. If your rent is not being paid then check whether Housing Benefit has been suspended.

Curiously, I continued to be exempt for my GP prescriptions but not for dental treatment and prescriptions. 

• Shellyj13
    Options
    Omg can they do this without telling me?.How will I live? I have a child
  • Shellyj13
    Options
    Why would they stop it without telling me
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Shellyj13, really sorry to read that you're in such a stressful situation.

You may still be eligible if your financial circumstances haven't changed, but it's well worth checking to make sure. Things might have been stopped in error or there could be some other reason for the change. If you still have the details from your ESA claim, you could try getting in touch with them to see what's happening. 

I hope things get cleared up for you soon.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

Do check the HB payments with your council because a suspension can be lifted - it might be an error. You should be able to find out by phone.

Your HA will know the date of the last rent receipt and may be able to help you resolve this.   

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Housing benefit won't just stop unless for some unknown reason your Income Related ESA has stopped. DWP do share information with your local Authority so housing benefit can get suspended in this situation. To know what's happened to your housing benefit you will need to ring your local Authority tomorrow when they open to ask them. It may just be that because housing benefit is paid in arrears and a landlord usually wants rent in advance and therefore arrears can accumulate.

For the managed migration because you're claiming Tax Credits then you will in the near future be sent the migration letter and then you will have 3 months to claim UC. If you don't within this time then your benefits will stop. Until then you're benefits will continue for as long as you remain entitled to them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.