Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Lost all my points and award at MR!

Options
xLisax
xLisax Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am 51 and was diagnosed last year with ADHD. I have really struggled all my life and now realise why. I applied for PIP and was awarded lower rate daily living. Although a lot was correctly described on my award letter, some was certainly not and so I requested a MR. WhilstI was waiting for the decision I had a text saying I was going to be called in 15 mins time to discuss it! I spoke with the man who wasn’t particularly interested in what I was saying and I have found out he has taken ALL my award away saying things along the lines of,  “You are not entitled to PIP for being messy”, that I was vague when answering the questions, that I turned up for the video call on time (it was a phone call from a text I received 15 mins before) that I went to college and university to get the job I do, which he didn’t ask me about and I been to anyway and various other comments which are not connected with or recognising my ADHD symptoms as a real thing. It is like he has assessed me against a physical measure not the obstacles I face everyday attempting to do those activities and he clearly hadn’t read any previous assessments. I’m feeling broken if I’m honest. I know I need to appeal but I’m feeling completely overwhelmed by the thought of it. Are there any documents that anyone has that can guide me through what I need to do and how I should approach this. Thank you for any help x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,510 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's extremely rare to lose points at this stage, the majority of decisions remain the same usually. I know it's too late now but did you look at the descriptors before requesting the MR to see if it was possible to score more points needed for an award? To request the MR for some things that weren't described correctly in the decision letter is a little odd, if i'm honest.

You can request the appeal online here. https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit-decision/submit-appeal

To request it, you just need to give a brief reason why you disagree with the decision. Anything else can be done at a later date.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • xLisax
    Options
    I asked for the MR on specific categories only, I listed them as individual points, where the assessment description of my situation did not match the reality meaning I had not got the points I would have expected or had not been discussed, for example anything to do with mobility which I raised at the end of the assessment when the lady asked me if I had anything to add. I made the point of saying that other than the specific points I was raising I was happy with what had been interpreted from my assessment. Was that not the right way to approach it? 
  • xLisax
    Options
    The assessment was done by a nurse who seemed to understand what ADHD looked like, the MR was done by someone who has had no medical training apparently (I asked when I called the DWP today) and it really showed
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,510 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's the correct way but they would look at the whole claim again and not just the descriptors you disagreed with. In this situation there's always some risk when requesting the MR, (but it's rare) unless you're challenging the length of the award only and you specifically tell them this.

Yes, a decision maker has no medical knowledge but you don't need medical knowledge for a PIP claim because it's not awarded based on any diagnosis. There must have been some contradictions somewhere, either in the evidence you sent or what you wrote in the form or what you said on the phone.

When you receive the decision letter it will tell you why the points were removed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.