Re ni credits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re ni credits

Options
lydia5683
lydia5683 Community member Posts: 39 Listener
Hi, I received a letter saying that i wasn't eligible for new style esa but my claim would remain open and I would receive ni credits.

I was wondering if I would have to apply for credits again if i start a job in the future and i get made redundant or would my credits continue to get paid automatically.

Im currently unemployed and dont receive uc due to too many savings

Also can my credits be backdated from july 23 as this was when i became redundant. I applied for ni credits on oct 23 as I was told in july 23 by an advisor that i wasnt eligible for ni credits when I was. When I complained they refused to backdate my credits.

Thanks 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suppose the $64,000 question is what age are you ? it might be that you don't have to worry about N.I yet as you only need in most cases 35 years for a full state pension and most people have at least 45 years or more  to make that many years.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• lydia5683
    Options
    Hi im 26, i was also told by dwp that i need to send a med certificate even though im not eligible for new style esa as im claiming ni credits instead of new style esa

Is this correct?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you want N.I credits then yes, do you have any full years cont. already ? at 26 you still have 41 years (you will retire at 67) to get the 35 years needed for a full SRP (pension)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Although it's just a NI credits only claim you will still need to go through the work capability assessment process. If found to have either LCW or LCWRA then your claim will be remain as a NI credits only.

If you start working and earn at least £123/week then you will not need to continue with the ESA credits only claim. If you stop working then you'll be able to reclaim the ESA as NI credits only, if you still don't have the correct NI contributions to be entitled to any payments.

I note from a previous thread that your savings are more than £16,000 so too much to claim Universal Credit. If your savings drop below £16,000 then you'll be able to claim UC but there will be a deduction of £4.35/week for every £250 or part thereof over £6,000.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry if this is not helpful but it's all I know ... I have a neighbour who was in a similar position and apparently they voluntarily paid their National Insurance out of their savings when they were out of work (through choice in their case) ... might be an option.
  • lydia5683
    Options
    Thanks, I was told by dwp that to make a new claim for esa my previous claim should have ended 12 weeks before starting my new claim.

You said in a previous post that i may be eligible for esa in jan 24 so should I close my current ni credits claim and re apply in jan or would i be able to keep my credits claim open and apply separetly in jan or feb

Would i also have to see a work coach even though im claiming credits only?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    lydia5683 said:
    Thanks, I was told by dwp that to make a new claim for esa my previous claim should have ended 12 weeks before starting my new claim.

You said in a previous post that i may be eligible for esa in jan 24 so should I close my current ni credits claim and re apply in jan or would i be able to keep my credits claim open and apply separetly in jan or feb

Would i also have to see a work coach even though im claiming credits only?

I didn't actually advise you to close your claim because i didn't know you were claiming at that time. I gave advice on what NI contributions you needed in order to be entitled to payments. I also advised that based on the information you gave then it would unlikely that you'll be entitled to payments this year. See the advice i gave here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/111425/re-class-1-credits#latest

I then said that you can try claiming from the 1st Sunday in January as that's when the benefit year changes. From then the tax years will be 2021/22 2022/23, rather than 2020/21 and 2021/22 which is what they are now. I have no idea if you'll be entitled to payments then.

The 12 weeks applies to when your ESA payments stop because of the 1 year limit, i don't think it will apply in this case but happy to be corrected if anyone knows. More information here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/problems-with-esa/if-your-esa-is-ending-because-of-the-1-year-limit/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lydia5683
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying, would I still need to see a work coach before my wca decision as im only claiming ni credits?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No it's unlikely.
  • lydia5683
    Options
    Thanks if i get put in the wrag group will be ni credits stop after 1 year?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. No, the 1 year applies to those that are entitled to ESA payments and placed into the WRAG. As you're not entitled to payments then there's nothing to stop.
  • lydia5683
    Options
    If im found fit for work would i still get ni credits 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.