If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you help me with a social situation??

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
I recently found out my mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer and on top of many difficult health battles over the last few years she's struggling a lot to come to terms with it.

I'd like to reach out to her and let her know I'm thinking of her, but we don't have any sort of relationship. I don't recall the last time we spoke and it's been quite some time since she acknowledged my existence. 

Would it be weird for me to reach out?
What would be an appropriate gesture? 

I'm not very good at this stuff even with people I'm very close to so don't know what to do here. I don't know what people do or is the done thing??? 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,721 Scope online community team
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mums news. I don't think it would be weird at all @Biblioklept, it may very well be appreciated. :)
    As for appropriate gestures, I'm definitely the wrong person to ask, but I'm sure others may be able to offer some suggestions? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mum @Biblioklept the only pearl of wisdom I can think of would be to write to her, it might just help kick start a new relationship with her.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,532 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Biblioklept, sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. Families can be so complicated sometimes, and I can understand why you'd feel strange about it. Do you have any siblings or other family members that have contact with your mum and wouldn't mind talking it through with you to see what she'd appreciate?

If you do decide to get in touch, it probably doesn't need to be a long message. If you have an address, perhaps you could write her a simple card or a letter to say you are thinking of her. A small bunch of flowers might also be a nice idea if you can afford it. 

You could mention that you know that you don't speak very often, but you wanted to wish her the best after her diagnosis and that you'll be thinking of her through her treatment.

Do you think you'd like her to reply to you if you did send something, or would it be difficult for you? 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • honestjon
    honestjon Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    I recently found out my mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer and on top of many difficult health battles over the last few years she's struggling a lot to come to terms with it.

I'd like to reach out to her and let her know I'm thinking of her, but we don't have any sort of relationship. I don't recall the last time we spoke and it's been quite some time since she acknowledged my existence. 

Would it be weird for me to reach out?
    What would be an appropriate gesture? 

I'm not very good at this stuff even with people I'm very close to so don't know what to do here. I don't know what people do or is the done thing??? 
    Speaking from my own experience I would suggest you follow your heart and get in touch to say you are there to help in any way you can.
    I would imagine that you getting in contact would give your Mum a lift when she needs it so do what you think is right.
    Sometimes we have to forget the past and deal with the present. I wish you and your family well.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well I am an unforgiving vindictive fart that doesn't forget or forgive when people have wronged me (unless they apologise) so I would ignore the whole thing.

But you sound like a more caring person than me, I would say no it wouldn't be weird to get in touch, if you get a rebuff then it's her loss not yours and at least you tried!
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Biblioklept So sorry to hear about your mum. I would get a card saying 'thinking of you' and add a few words of your own. Take care.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to read about your mom @Biblioklept

It wouldn't be weird to reach out, if you want to then go for it. Sometimes it take one person to reach out
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'd agree to follow your heart, & that's the only thing to do, & it doesn't matter how you choose to reach out as there's not a right or wrong way, just whatever's best for you.
    Hoping all goes well for your Mum, & thinking of you too.
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 264 Pioneering
    Options
    all i will say is your a long time dead just send her a card then the balls in her court 
  • THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Options
    So sorry to hear that about your mum @Biblioklept.

If your instinct is telling you to reach out then you should go with it. I hope it goes well if you do.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.