If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Arise 21 and 22 year olds

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,787 Disability Gamechanger
The national minimum wage will increase by £1.02 an hour from next April to £11.44 and for the first time 21 and 22 year olds will get the high rate of NMW an increase of more than £1000 for working full time.

Nice to get some positive news this week.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Options

It is great news! 

I was shocked to read though under 19's and apprentices in their first year are paid £5.28 an hour.. .for increasing productivity it makes no sense  

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,787 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    WhatThe said:

It is great news! 

I was shocked to read though under 19's and apprentices in their first year are paid £5.28 an hour.. .for increasing productivity it makes no sense  

I think that £210 a week at 19 and under isn't bad even in 2023, when I started work after leaving school I was on £28 per week and basic rate income tax was 33%, today on £210 they would pay no tax and a few quid in N.I
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• WhatThe
    edited November 2023
    Options
  • WhatThe
    Options

I need to correct myself - 16/17 year olds, apprentices under 19 or anyone in their first year of an apprenticeship are paid £5.28 an hour.

Living at home it would be a good wage but many don't/can't and it wouldn't support an adult to retrain or seek vocational qualifications. Reward for hard work is the mantra...and it's more important than ever to give hope to this generation - rising inequality and shambolic governance is all they've ever known! 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.