Hearing impaired - a hidden disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing impaired - a hidden disability

Options
skyesr
skyesr Community member Posts: 6 Connected
edited January 26 in Sensory impairments
Hi, I've recently introduced myself as a newbie to the forum - as a carer for my other half who is disabled.  I've come across this category about sensory impairment and thought that I'd just share some of my own views.

I'm moderately to severely hearing impaired (across all tones and pitches in both ears) and have been using hearing aids for the past four years.  To be honest, it never even occurred to me that I am disabled, strange as that may sound.

Sometimes when I can't hear people and tell them that I'm struggling through deafness, some of them start to talk to me as if I were a child and they talk very slowly, stretching their mouths into such weird shapes and that it makes it even worse.  To cap it all, some people turn their heads away and start to talk - I need to read lips!  My other half is a culprit of this.  

Wearing masks during the pandemic was awful - I could neither hear properly nor see to read lips.

I'd love to hear from others who have hearing problems :smile: 

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,412 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @skyesr, sorry nobody has been in touch so far. I don't have a hearing impairment but just thought I'd pop in to say hello and perhaps people might find your post again :)

How are you doing today? 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • martymart
    martymart Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @skyesr, hope you are well, I can fully understand your frustration and comments. I too have severe/profound bilateral hearing loss, yes I wear hearing aids but the attitudes of people isolates me. Just because they cannot see a disability you are treated as a minor or even elderly by the way you are spoken too. Again mask wearing was a hindrance as unable to hear what was said, I was given face masks with a clear stripe by a manager so that I could wear them so people could understand me speaking, yea you read right!!! The manager was quite taken aback when advised I need masks for the people I come into contact with. Needless to say due to other issues I no longer have contact with that person. 
    My other half will make a joke when people are not taking so I can understand them (look at me when talking and please move your hand from your mouth) which sometimes breaks the ice, failing this I walk away and let them get in with it as it’s their problem and not mine! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.