If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Energy price increase

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,801 Disability Gamechanger
Prices will increase by 5% in January. 😞
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,780 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Disappointing. They are to high already. 
  • cheekylittlekoala
    cheekylittlekoala Community member Posts: 117 Courageous
    Options
    I wish they would get rid of the standing charges.
  • woodbine
    Options
    I wish they would get rid of the standing charges.
    Agreed for most people if they went away for a month turning everything off they would come home to a bill for £30, would be fairer if they scrapped them and add some to the charge for actual usage.

• michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Options
    give it with the left hand take more in the right nothing changes and never will
  • woodbine
    Options
    michael57 said:
    give it with the left hand take more in the right nothing changes and never will
    in fairness it will only increase our electricity bill by around £25 a year (we don't have mains gas) and from April our joint benefits will increase by around £28 a week.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know this news will be worrying for a lot of members. 

Please know Scope has some tips and support on the Get Ready For Winter Campaign webpage <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,074 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The prices are going up because wholesale has risen slightly.

I know it's an unoriginal thing to say but energy suppliers don't exist to make a loss. When the cost of the fuel they buy goes up they have to pass these costs on.

If anyone wants to get angry I suggest directing that ire at the various wars and political situations causing the wholesale costs to be so expensive, rather than the organisations who simply provide the service of converting the wholesale fuels into suitable energy for households and businesses.

P.S. No I don't work for an energy company.  :p
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    66Mustang said:

I know it's an unoriginal thing to say but energy suppliers don't exist to make a loss. When the cost of the fuel they buy goes up they have to pass these costs on.

If anyone wants to get angry I suggest directing that ire at the various wars and political situations causing the wholesale costs to be so expensive, rather than the organisations who simply provide the service of converting the wholesale fuels into suitable energy for households and businesses.

A lot of truth in that and something that everybody should bear in mind
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Options
    66Mustang said:

nothing to do with the shareholders needing to get there dividends then and if they do scrap the standing charge where will the lost money for them be made up 
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    michael57 said:
    66Mustang said:

nothing to do with the shareholders needing to get there dividends then and if they do scrap the standing charge where will the lost money for them be made up 
    Without shareholders there wouldn't be a company. If you invested say £750,000 into a company what would you expect in return? A dividend of course - much like when a bank pays out interest on a deposit.
    As for the standing charge it will simply be put on the cost of the fuel.
    No one runs a business/company and expects/accepts a loss.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.