Turning off 'old' style landlines. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Turning off 'old' style landlines.

Options
figraspberry41
figraspberry41 Scope Member Posts: 13 Listener
I read recently that the landlines are being swithe

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @figraspberry41, looks like you might have had some trouble posting your question. If there's anything I can do to help make it easier for you, or if you have any trouble accessing the community, just let me know.

Are you concerned about your analogue landline being switched off? 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We hadn't used our landline for years as we both have unlimited minutes mobiles so when we updated our broadband we ditched the landline and saved £3 a month, but I'm not aware of them switching off the service
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

Yes, BT will discontinue landline services using copper wires starting next year I believe and will be completed by December 2025.

Customers will not need to pay for a broadband package to receive the new digital landline service.

• figraspberry41
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and comments. 
    Yes, I did have some trouble posting my comments. I was blocked because I had pressed send too many times! I had not realised that the post had been sent, I'm used to seeing a message of sorts  or some indication that it has been sent! My apologies!
    I really 'struggle' with online stuff, for me it is annoying at not seemingly be able to 'grasp' the how to do and retain the information. This in turn increases my stress and anxiety levels to a point where I often want to abandon whatever the task is! It is very frustrating for me because I cannot understand why I am unable to understand  what to others seems be a 'simple' process. IT is definitely not "my thing". 
    I have Wi Fi and therefore  must have broadband in order to use my laptop, however, my issue, is that I live in an area where mobile phones (doesn't matter which network is used) have very poor reception and is unreliable at best. I rely on my landline to receive calls that are unproductive via mobile phone and if the service is down have little alternative means of communication. I raise the point because although I personally have IT problems, other people regardless of disability may experience the same issues / difficulties that I have, which could put them in a potentially more vulnerable position. At the moment, I do not pay for fibre broad ban (it is expensive) but I can check with my supplier and make sure that I have landline available before the switch but other people may not have the cognitive ability (or know how) to resolve this issue. The article I saw focused on vulnerable people who rely on 'life line' or similar, older people  (over 70 years) and those who rely on services for urgent back up, such as in power cuts. In these circumstances people may have no means of communicating once the 'old' connections no longer work. A text message to say there is a power cut might take three days to reach my mobile phone, if I don't go out! This is just an example of how other people might be affected without a reliable service in place once the 'old' style is closed down. 
    Thank you all for all your responses, I've not had time to read them all, also one of my traits! However, I will but wanted to thank you for your help and support. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous Happy 2024! 
    Best Wishes, 
    Joyce
  • figraspberry41
    Options
    Hi Rosie, 
    Thank you for your message re: help with posting messages. Unfortunately, I do have difficulties posting notes (or a lot of other issues with technology!) I would appreciate any suggestions you may have that will enable me to 'grasp' the 'how to do's' on my laptop. Often, I cannot remember the 'how' to do's despite being told (or shown) a few times. I just fail to fully understand or comprehend, but this is more due to the type of brain dysfunction rather than being totally unintelligent!  I seem to 'get  bits' of information but then can't remember them in correct sequence or try something that then doesn't appear quite the same as on a previous occasion, then I'm at a loss and have no idea how to 'fix' my error.
    Thank you, anything that you can suggest, will be gratefully received.
    Wishing you all a Lovely Christmas Holiday and Best Wishes in 2024!
    Kind Regards, 
    Joyce

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My phone line has already been cut off after a recent Broadband switch.

It doesn't make any difference here as I had a cordless phone.  So that doesn't work during a power-cut anyway.

I agree that it would be an issue for people who have a conventional corded phone and live in area with poor mobile signal and a lot of power-cuts.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

Hi figraspberry,

I am very attached to my landline too. Also struggle with IT and poor mobile phone signal and auditory problems so I use mine only to text. Autistic and cannot be trained to 'improve' these skills! 

Which? has some good information about the switchover - sorry, I can't do links.

It looks like landlines will keep the same number, continue to operate with no break and battery packs will be provided as backup in the event of a power cut. Cordless handsets won't work and new handsets will be offered at discounted prices but all other equipment will be installed with no cost to customers. Broadband packages will remain optional. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are lucky that whilst living in a very rural area we also live 200 yards away from a well disguised  mobile mast that transmits all the major networks and we get a first class signal.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.