Christmas all alone ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas all alone ?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
If you know somebody who will be spending Christmas all alone, be they family, a friend or neighbour can I urge you to do anything you can to help them through the day. Invite them into your home or just a phone call to let them know they are in your thoughts.

At a time of celebration there is something we can all do no matter how much or little to ease someone else's loneliness this Christmas.

And all the best to you and yours.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good thoughts @woodbine

We always do this for a neighbour but they are off to see family this year, good for them we say
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 505 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes, but I've chosen to spend Christmas alone as I'm not up to it bodily or mentally this year. Have birthdays just after, which I'll have to show my face at, but Xmas will be a quiet one.

Merry Christmas to all!
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,513 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Very thoughtful @woodbine
    On Scope we are all the lucky ones we have each other 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Ada thank you and yes we are.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    I will be alone this Christmas.  I don't know anyone locally.
    I did have an internet friend, but I'm not sure he will be any comfort.
    I don't have any presents or cards to open either.
    I usually love Christmas, but this year, it all feels a bit weird...
  • Ada
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @Autism_at_40 Sorry your on your own. I will be on here. I know how it feels. I spent many a holiday on my own and many living on the streets. 
    I do have a partner who has his own demons to cope with so gets up very late. But I have my dog. So I am quite a lot in a better place then you. We don’t do Christmas for each other or the food it’s to expensive. 

But what I do is think of my worst times and thank goodness for where I am and what I have today. 
    Materialistically I have very little. We live solitude life’s no family or physical friendships.

But you have what I have. Together we have our Scope Family. 
    Trust me Scope gives you a reason to want to get up get chores done so you can be with your friends on here. 

Please don't think your not understood We all care.  

Sending hugs 🤗 
  • Autism_at_40
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @Ada
    Thanks for your message and kind words.
    I think I was numb before, now I'm just feeling all the emotions of being alone.  I had my birthday a week ago and I didn't receive a single birthday wish, card or present.  I brushed it off, but I think it's all catching up with me now.  :'(:'(
    I should go for a walk and clear my head.
  • Ada
    Options
    But it’s ok @Autism_at_40   to feel down as you do. There are no rules. Sometimes I fight it but sometimes I ride with it because not sharing your feelings don’t help. I understand more then you can know. I am living with Asperger. Clinical depression Anxiety physical illnesses and a difficult lifestyle. 
    You will find that because your sharing your feelings your also helping others. I may chat about my home-life and physical illnesses but hardly open up about my mental illnesses. I hide from my truth.
    Please share we all truly do care very much  
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    @Ada
    Thank you, it means a lot.

I did go for a walk and took what you said to think about all the things that I am grateful for, I do have a lot to be grateful for, I know that.  I have a roof over my head, I am able to buy nice food to eat this Christmas etc.  So I did feel a bit better..

But then, I just let the feelings overwhelm me again.. I've had to chat to CALM and Samaritans, because I just feel rubbish.

I think it is important to let the feelings out and to move through them, instead of trying to squash it.  I think once you move through something, you can move forward.

I am having other issues if I'm honest.. I met this guy and it was all so good, but then he said he wasn't sure (obviously way more to it than that), so I am still talking to him, but am unsure where we stand.  So the not knowing of that, and the fact that he didn't remember my birthday, just makes it harder to accept Christmas by myself.

If I was completely alone, I think I would find it a lot easier to cope with.  Because, i know that I am alone.  If that makes sense...
  • Ada
    Options
    Everything you say @Autism_at_40 makes sense. 
    Hope your bow is just innocently confused and not taking you for granted. It’s so easy when we’re so vulnerable. Trust me I know. 
    Sending hugs 🤗 
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    @Ada
    Thanks :smile: I appreciate the hugs too, I was just thinking this afternoon, i could really do with a hug :smile:

Well, I thought he was just innocently confused.  He has ADHD and a whole host of mental disorders, so I would hope that he would understand, I guess he is also vulnerable.. but I suppose that doesn't mean that he isn't taking me for granted.  I suppose only time will tell on that one.

I feel better now, but I will probably be back on here tomorrow!
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Autism_at_40 happy belated birthday next time pop a post on and we will wish you happy birthday 
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Merry Christmas  :)
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    Options

I'm always alone at Christmas and a little tearful this evening, my first with Scope.

I don't even know if I'm a member, it just says connected. Courageous it said at one point and I liked that and asked to stick on it! I am courageous, I'm sure of that.

Christmas in my memory bank goes from opening little paper windows of angels and trumpets, counting up to a really special day, to stressful, tearful occasions we had to endure. 
    I miss the games and the laughter though because the games brought out the best in us all.   

• WhatThe
    Options

I'm always alone at Christmas and a little tearful this evening, my first with Scope.

I don't even know if I'm a member, it just says connected. Courageous it said at one point and I liked that and asked to stick on it! I am courageous, I'm sure of that.

Christmas in my memory bank goes from opening little paper windows of angels and trumpets, counting up to a really special day, to stressful, tearful occasions I worried about from September every year. 
    I miss the gamesfest and laughter we did have.    

I'm feel increasingly alone on this forum and not belonging once again  :(  

• Agnia
    Agnia Community member Posts: 920 Connected
    Options
    @WhatThe  Thank you for all the messages that you wrote to me 
  • WhatThe
    Options

Agnia, I'm so glad you kept asking for help here  :)
    Not everyone knows how to but you did  

• Rumi
    Rumi Community member, Scope Member Posts: 5,313 Pioneering
    Options
    I am alone in temporary accommodation. Its not fun. I wish l had someone to talk to in person.
  • Autism_at_40
    Options
    Rumi said:
    I am alone in temporary accommodation. Its not fun. I wish l had someone to talk to in person.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I hope you are ok.
    I went on CALM and chatted to someone yesterday.  I also went on Samaritans, they have a new chat service and it's not got a time limit on it.  I know they are strangers, but at least it's someone to talk to...

They suggested I go to church, just to be around people.  Could you do that?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.