Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

New Pip claim.

Options
nb123
nb123 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Hello everyone.
 I have recently (5th Jan) had my pip telephone assessment. It actually went well. I have mobility problems and depression/anxiety. I am a carer for my long time friend, I get carers allowance and UC. I have a young son. I am a widower. I am now really anxious and think I have done the wrong thing by applying for PIP. Can I phone and stop my application? 
Thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,095 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What makes you think you've done the wrong thing by applying? As you've had the assessment now then i don't think it will be possible to stop the claim. If successfully awarded then it will be a good thing. If you're not then you do not have to challenge the decision if you don't want to, you can just leave it as it is.

You can be a carer and still claim a disability benefit yourself, many people do.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nb123
    Options
    Thank you for your kind reply Poppy. I spent all last night reading horror stories about how people lost their carers allowance after claiming pip. It is really important to myself and my friend that I am able to carry on helping him. I was scared DWP would stop me from doing this because of my own difficulties. Because I have not been doing so well this last few months my friend spends his week days with me as his daughter is at work. I make sure he eats and we keep each other company. I was not sure this was enough to be his carer? If that makes sense. Thank you again.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. You don't have to be physically caring for someone to be their carer. Just spending time with them is enough. Sometimes being a carer can go against you, if your caring duties contradict the reasons why you're claiming PIP.

I claim carers allowance for looking after my daughter and i claim PIP. She has Autism and i have physical conditions. I don't do anything physical for her so my caring duties don't contradict the reasons why i claim PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nb123
    Options
    Again, a huge thank you for finding the time to reply. Your explanation is really reassuring to me . I will try and persevere with my anxiety and await DWP decision. Should they challenge me about my caring responsibility I will report back before panicking and trying to stop everything. Have a good evening and I hope you and your family are well. 
  • nb123
    Options
    Hello again. If I did decide to stop my claim could I do this please? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,927 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As poppy rightly advised ^^^ now you have had the assessment it is unlikely that you could stop the claim, the wheels as they say are in motion, but from what you have said there is no need to, back in the day my wife and I both got DLA and income support and claimed CA for looking after each other, she has physical issues and I need supervision, in fact she now gets PIP and also CA for looking after me.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• nb123
    Options
    I really appreciate your reply. I am just really anxious about my carer role being put at risk. It is hugely important to me and my friend I help. 
    Thank you.
  • nb123
    Options
    Thank you all again for your help. I am actually starting to believe I have done nothing wrong by applying 🙏 This is an excellent group. 
  • nb123
    Options
    Hello everyone. I had a payment made to my bank account for 25 pounds. It says from DWP GB FP LP (pip) ? Why would this happen please ? Should I be worrying? Obviously I am. Thank you. 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 10
    Options
    I can only guess but i don't think it would be PIP because that payment makes no sense. I see you this is your first time applying for PIP and if there's an award you would receive money owed first before your first 4 weekly payment.

My first thoughts is that it's a cold weather payment. (£25) I note you're claiming UC so if it was that then you would have received a message on your journal telling you that one was triggered in your area. You can check if there is one for your area here. https://coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk/

• nb123
    Options
    Thank you Poppy. It was actually
    24 pounds 68 p. It has my ni number and then says pip ? Thank you  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then i have no idea what that could be for because that amount makes no sense. The lowest PIP award you can have is standard mobility but this is £26.90/week. They open at 9am so you'll need to ring them and ask.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Telephone: 0800 121 4433
    Textphone: 0800 121 4493
    Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4433
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

• nb123
    Options
    Thank you again Poppy. I really appreciate it. I wish I hadn’t started all this now it is making me really anxious. 
    Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome. It is indeed very stressful but the majority of people feel exactly the same. Hopefully not too much longer now. If you do ring them to ask please come back to let us know. 
  • nb123
    Options
    Thank you again Poppy. One minute ago I received a text saying I have been awarded pip? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That’s good news! Though that payment still doesn’t make any sense. You can ring them to ask what the decision was and at the same time ask them what the payment is for. 
  • nb123
    Options
    Your help has been invaluable to me Poppy .
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I’m glad I’ve been able to help you. ☺️
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.