Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Will me just getting married affect my new pip claim?

Options
shnnaxxx
shnnaxxx Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 9 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone.

im just asking for some advice. I recently applied for pip and got accepted right away. I’m super grateful. I’ve just got married too. Will it affect my claim once I tell them? 

I know that you can be married and have pip. And I’m also not sure what I have been awarded just yet because I’ve only just found out. But will this make them retract my claim or anything? Maybe I’m just overthinking it but I have a lot of anxiety regarding the whole situation. 

I had to leave my own wedding because of my pain too😢 it was a super small wedding with immediate family. I also don’t know how I change my circumstances with them.

I hope this makes sense? Many thanks! 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,927 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @shnnaxxx hi and a warm welcome to scope, being married won't in any way affect your PIP claim and you wont have to notify them unless you have changed your name and or bank details, but it will not effect your claim either way, depending on circumstances and assuming you have been awarded care PIP your partner might be able to claim carers allowance.
    Considering how long some claims take its amazing that you have been awarded "right away"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,149 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @shnnaxxx and welcome to the community from me too!

Just to let you know, I've moved your post to the PIP category, so more people in the know can see and help. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • shnnaxxx
    shnnaxxx Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    hi! Thank you so much both 😊

im so sorry I didn’t realise I posted in the wrong category :)  thank you both for your help and for redirecting my post!

when I said right away I meant in a sense that I didn’t have to appeal, it did take time to find out if I was awarded but I know people with the same illnesses that have unfortunately had to fight very hard to get pip. 

Thank you again for your helpful insights! 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,149 Scope online community team
    Options
    It's not a problem at all @shnnaxxx lots of people do it and we just help tidy things up so you can get the best support. :) 

It's so great that you were awarded PIP on the first go. But I'm sorry your health affected your wedding day.   If you need to report a change of circumstances, you can just call the PIP enquiry line on Telephone: 0800 121 4433
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.