How to get my Direct Payments back? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get my Direct Payments back?

martie1118 Community member Posts: 36 Connected

Today I have been told by the care agency that they won't be caring for me anymore because I kept breaking confidentiality, but I think it's because I kept telling them the rules they are breaking. They threatened me by saying they would take my usual carers away and replace them with new ones which couldn't deal with because I suffer from Cerebral palsy, Epilepsy and Depression and I need continuity, the agency agreed to my wishes and then broke my trust by not respecting them.

What I would like to know is how I can get my direct payments back after the authorities have taken it away from me, I was told I haven't got the right to appeal and they would not be giving it to me again which has upset me. I would appreciate all your advice as I feel they are treating me very unfairly as i haven't done anything wrong. 

I have been receiving direct payments since the independent living fund started in 1988 with no problems whatsoever, since moving to Telford my problems started.  

Please read below for the full story.

I have put this in the public domain to show the public how Social Services are wasting the taxpayer’s money; I was receiving direct payments for many years. Social Services sent a Financial Declaration Form to fill out, we phoned Social Services numerous times and left messages, If only a social worker answered one call to fill the form out and none this would have happened. Now they have taken my fantastic team of five carers away from me and also my freedom and independence, Social Services has employed a care agency at an incredible cost to themselves with your money. Below are the figures and if you agree Telford & Wrekin Council is wasting your money.

I want to save you the taxpayer's money and enjoy the rest of my life. I am 65 years old and suffer from Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy the worry and tremendous unnecessary pressure Social Services have put me under is causing me to have many seizures which is not doing any good health-wise.

£23.00 - £10.50 = £12.50 per hour Day and Night 

The Company Yearly Profit = £109.200 (overall paid £200,928)

My Direct payments package 24/7 £11.00 per hour = £96,096 (Yearly Profit None)

Surely, I am not the only person they have done this to not only in Telford & Wrekin Council but in all the Councils up and down the country, I want to put a stop to their wastefulness of the taxpayer's money. After all, they keep saying that they don't have the money to go around, this is the reason.

Social Services sacked my five fantastic carers and devoted who cared for quite a few years, they did everything for me, they took me out to wherever I wanted to go and we out for meals together. We all had plenty of laughs and enjoyed life. Unfortunately, that is all gone because Social Services said they wanted to save money. Actually, they are spending more than double (please look at actual costings), where is their logic?

Why is this important?

It is a waste of your taxpayer's money; I am sure Telford & Wrekin is not the Council doing this in the UK.
Surely, they could help more people to independent lives in the way they want.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for reading this.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.