UC Housing element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Housing element

Options
letitbe
letitbe Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
Hi everyone, just need some advice pls . 
I’m looking to move to another City but when I search on openrent a lot of the properties in the area I’m looking at say.                     
 ‘LHA housing benefit doesn’t cover the full rent ‘ 
I’m really confused about this because I get UC and I’m over 35yrs so my UC housing element would more than cover the rent . 
Does this mean the area I’m 
looking at hasn’t  made the change to UC? 
Sorry I’m just confused 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All areas are now UC and have been since Dec 2018. If you're a single person then you would be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. 

This will vary depending on which area you'll be living. I would say that the majority of areas will not cover the full rent, unless you live in something like shared accommodation.

You can check the amount for the area here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ it will give you the weekly amount so you will need to convert it to monthly.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • letitbe
    Options
    Thank you . 
    I can’t believe it in the SE I’m entitled to £1280 housing element and the city I’m thinking of moving to im entitled to £524, I’m absolutely shocked its reduced by so much , I can’t even get a houseshare for that in the city I want to move to . 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It does vary considerably depending on which area you live. For example, down South the rent would be much higher than up North so entitlement would be more down there.

LHA is increasing from April but not by a huge amount.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • letitbe
    Options
    I’m stuck in every direction now. There’s no flats in the city I want to move to that are £500 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    It's often a tonne cheaper to rent just outside of the main cities. I'm not sure if that's viable for you? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • letitbe
    Options
    The reason for move would be because it’s closer to family and friends  , I’d be moving back to the City I was born . 
    I was in hospital twice last year and I need more support from family and friends. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's not easy to privately rent, not only because of the cost but finding a landlord that will accept DSS tenants. Have you put your name down on the housing list in the area closer to family? Having a local connection to the area will help with adding your name to the list but the wait could still be very long.
  • letitbe
    Options
    It's not easy to privately rent, not only because of the cost but finding a landlord that will accept DSS tenants. Have you put your name down on the housing list in the area closer to family? Having a local connection to the area will help with adding your name to the list but the wait could still be very long.
    Is it possible to do that poppy ? I thought I needed to have lived in the city for a few years before they’d put me on the register. I’d be moving to Birmingham so not sure . I only know if I stay as I am I’ll end up in hospital again. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Some will allow you to be added to the list if you have a local connection to the area. I know mine does. You will need to check their rules. 
  • letitbe
    Options

I found this on Council website , so I think it means I could register as I have family there ? 
    Is it possible to register now even though I’m in a different City? And does that mean I could stay in my current city until they potentially offer me something ? 
    Sorry I’m being dim 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, it means you can fill out a form with them. You will need to send any evidence they ask for and wait to hear from them. If you've successfully been added to the list you will be contacted. You will then be able to bid on properties.
  • letitbe
    Options
    Thanks so much . 
    I didn’t know I could register with a council whilst living in a different city . 
    Will they need a letter or something from my local connection family member ? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    letitbe said:
    Thanks so much . 
    I didn’t know I could register with a council whilst living in a different city . 

You're welcome. Yes, potentially. They may also ask for their address.
  • letitbe
    Options
    I hope they’ll accept me on the list , I’m pretty sure I could get a letter from my GP and CMHT where I am now to say it would help me to be closer to my family. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you @letitbe :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • letitbe
    Options
    letitbe said:
    Thanks so much . 

You're welcome. Yes, potentially. They may also ask for their address.
    I know this sounds stupid and really unlikely but if I did get onto council housing register in Birmingham and SE could I bid in both cities and then take the first one that I like ? 
    The reason I ask is because I’ve read you can apply to as many council registers as you want as long as you have a local connection . 
    I know it’s unlikely I’ll be accepted onto either one let alone both . 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I don’t know the answer to that. I’ve never been added to more than 1 list at any one time.

If you do get added to a list you should only bid on properties in areas you would like to live. If you bid and are offered and then refuse because you don’t like the area then it could affect any future bids you make. 

It may not be a very quick process either so please be aware of that, even more so if you’re low down on the list. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.