LCWRA and private pension — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and private pension

Options
qwerty1234
qwerty1234 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a query regarding LCWRA and hope someone can help.
My sister suffers from severe mental health problems and as such receives LCWRA of £390.06 pcm in addition to the UC standard allowance of £368.74. She doesn't get a housing cost element as she lives with family. I understand that because she gets LCWRA she has a work allowance of £631 per month which in theory means she could earn up to that amount before her UC is reduced.
This is what I understand about LCWRA and how earned income is treated. My question relates to how unearned income is treated if you receive LCWRA. She may be entitled to a small private pension (<£500 pcm) as a financial dependent of our late father. However we have been informed that if she were to draw this small private pension it would reduce her Universal credit benefit on a pound for pound basis, in stark contrast to how earned income is treated. 
Is this correct? She is allowed to work a little if she could but is not allowed to draw this small private pension without reducing her benefits?
Thanks for any advice or guidance. 
best wishes
Q

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A pension is treated as unearned income and a weekly/monthly drawn down will reduce her UC £1 for £1. You are correct that earned income is treated differently to unearned income. The same rules applied to the old legacy benefits.

For this reason it would be pointless to withdraw any income from a pension while claiming UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • qwerty1234
    qwerty1234 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thats very helpful , thanks for the speedy reply! 
    This will only change when she qualifies for state pension, when she would be able to draw a private pension too? Is that correct?
    thanks 
    Q
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When she reaches state pension age if she's a single person then her UC will end anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.