Disability Discrimination by Landlord — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Discrimination by Landlord

Options
Nicola8029
Nicola8029 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me?.... 
I have been in a privately rented flat for 6 years now and with the same landlord (who is horrid). Due to a build up of arrears during Covid (he agreed for me to pay half the rent at that point), he applied for a repossession of the flat. I was able to evidence then that he was being unreasonable, as I have never missed any amount of a payment and have always kept him in the loop and he is aware that I have lost multiple jobs due to having chronic disabilities and mental health issues. As a result of this I ended up attempting to end my life and even the paramedics report was submitted to the court. My father had also passed away and then my mother had a stroke. 
My local HOST agreed to clear the arrears in full and this was the only reason the landlord agreed to renew my tenancy. HOST did not pay. I was initially paying £850 per month & another £100 to the arrears, then the landlord upped my rent to £1080 per month & despite me paying every month, has now applied for re-possession again. 
I have made it very clear that if I am homeless, I will not be able to start my new job next month, which would then mean I could not pay him any rent (despite that I have paid on average £1000 a month from my UC) etc etc. I feel that this is direct discrimination as he is making me suffer for having disabilities that directly impact the kind of work I can do, where I can get to as I do not drive and have to walk and the amount of money I can earn? Am I right? 
I have all relevant agencies involved and have informed HOST that this is down to their lack of promised payment, that I am in this situation and will not be able to move because said landlord would not give me a good reference and my Dad was my guarantor and he is no longer here.
PLEASE HELP!!!! as I am in the process of collating all the evidence to submit to the court.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi there @Nicola8029 and welcome to the community.

I'm afraid I don't have the answers for you, but I just wanted to let you know I've moved your post into a different category, so more people in the know will hopefully be able to offer some support here. I hope that's ok?
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 994 Pioneering
    Options

Have you contacted Shelter for their excellent free legal advice?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It doesn't sound like discrimination to me. If you don't pay your rent then yes your LL can start the process to evict you and this can apply to anyone that's in arrears. To start this process they would need to issue you with a section 8. What they can't do is evict you their self. Only a court can do this
    https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-arrears#:~:text=Your%20landlord%20can%20evict%20you,you%20could%20lose%20your%20home.

You should contact shelter as advised by whatThe above.https://www.shelter.org.uk/
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Agnia
    Agnia Community member Posts: 924 Connected
    Options
    Hi Nicola, im really very sorry that your father passed away and your mother had a stroke and im sorry about the situation your are in and i really understand ( i also rent privately)  that’s very important to get a good references from the landlord to be able to move 
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    Options

@Nicola8029 I am truly sorry to hear about your situation. To navigate the repossession process, it is important to compile all communications with your landlord, evidence of payments towards arrears, and documentation supporting your disabilities. Construct a clear timeline of events, ensuring you have all the necessary documents and arguments for presentation in court. 

Additionally, consider seeking guidance from Shelter. Going to court can be worrying however do remember that individuals who choose to represent themselves in County Court often experience a sympathetic and understanding approach from the court. Goodluck with your new job next month and remember to take care of yourself.

• Nicola8029
    Nicola8029 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi thanks all. Luckily I always keep evidence of every interaction & communication from the past 6 years. I have stacks of evidence against the landlord, especially with him having been convicted of fraud. 
    I have contacted all agencies for support, did that a while ago. 
    Also having worked within law, have a lot of knowledge & know about the processes. I was just checking others viewpoints 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.