Advice needed PIP rules for risk of harm etc — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice needed PIP rules for risk of harm etc

Options
LisaRose909
LisaRose909 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for some specific advice regarding the 50% rule and if certain conditions don't have to meet that criteria to qualify for pip if there's a risk to safety. I've seen some conflicting stuff about it and I'm still confused about it.

I suffer with chronic hemiplegic migraines and bouts of vertigo which completely wipe me out many days of the week they come on suddenly and I fall to the floor.

Unfortunately the last doctor I saw wrote a vague statement about it in my medical evidence 'these happen at least twice a week' when the reality is it's much worse than that, and it's left it up to interpretation and the pip assessor refused to acknowledge my condition because she's interpreted it happening to me only twice a week so doesn't qualify for 50% of time even though symptoms last for many days after initial attack 😐

I have to do an MR now, my main argument is going to be that these can come on at any time therefore a significant risk to my safety is always present, I just wanted to confirm on here first I'm on the right track with this? 

I did give real life examples in my form and assessment of times I have been in danger but these were dismissed . I did have a terrible assessor who lied in my report too so I'm not sure if I've just had bad luck and maybe I do have a good chance of getting this overturned. 

Also I emailed my surgery yesterday and asked if my records could be updated with a clear statement of how many times it occurs rather than the vague one the last GP wrote, but no idea if it's too late now to get this rectified and even if I could you use an ammended record as evidence ?🙁 

Unfortunately too it's 2 months to wait to see a GP at my surgery so I can't even try and go see someone to discuss it before my MR has to go off. 

Any advice be greatly recieved. Thank you 💖

Comments

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 994 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Lisa, to get my medical records corrected, I contacted and met the practice manager and got the notes printed out. I was asked to amend the paper copies because data protection rules don't allow alterations by email. 

As for my hospital records, I was only able to get annotations added to them. 

• LisaRose909
    LisaRose909 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    @WhatThe thank you for your advice. Was it a long process to get it fixed? And when you got the notes printed out was the previous incorrect information still on there alongside the new correct information? Or can they just delete it and just add the correct information? 

Thanks, Lisa.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 994 Pioneering
    Options

The revised hospital notes were posted to me with annotated links so someone would need to dig to read them - I used POhWER to file my objections as I couldn't string a sentence together. I'd been described as pleasant and healthy! Well, I might be the first but couldn't risk this remaining on file and being used by DWP to support their heinous actions - I was cured for benefits purposes by then  ;)

It took me a long time to write a statement for POhWER but the rest was quick. 

GP notes, I made amendments on paper and handed them over but haven't actually had them re-printed. There was more I wanted changed but it was too distressing and difficult so I gave up (this was pre-autism diagnosis).    

Ask for your medication history to be printed off too. Also for any communications to and from the DWP regarding your health. 
    I suggest you write a letter to your GP or practice manager with your requests. You will have plenty of time to prepare for an appeal and add more evidence.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.