Going under ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going under ?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
Delivery firm Yodel are desperately seeking a buyer and on the verge of administration with 10,000 jobs at risk, The Body Shop are also about to go into administration with 100's of jobs at risk.

The question is then who's next ?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@woodbine
    Oh no that’s a shame there’s so many company’s going under.
    The city centre where I live has loads of shops closed down. 
    It used to be such a busy vibrant place to go shopping but it’s just nothing like it used to be.
    My mum was telling me she was in the other day and couldn’t believe the difference from just a couple off months ago.

I hope you and SM are keeping well.  ❤️
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    edited February 11
    Options
    I think Yodel have gained such a terrible reputation over the years that it was going to happen eventually. They have a lot of competition and haven't done anything to address the issues.
      I used to love going in The Body shop though, but I guess there's other brands that are a lot more popular with younger folk, like Lush? No company can really rest on their brand name alone anymore, they need to constantly adapt to the times. 

I agree with Lou though, our local town centres are ghost towns these days, so sad to see. Not enough foot traffic to attract big shops, but too expensive for smaller businesses to move in. 

(Hope you're doing ok @woodbine)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,481 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is very sad. Glad to see you back @woodbine
  • woodbine
    Options
    Lou67 said:

@woodbine
    Oh no that’s a shame there’s so many company’s going under.
    The city centre where I live has loads of shops closed down. 
    It used to be such a busy vibrant place to go shopping but it’s just nothing like it used to be.
    My mum was telling me she was in the other day and couldn’t believe the difference from just a couple off months ago.

I hope you and SM are keeping well.  ❤️
    @Lou67 thanks not too bad finally getting an appointment to see eye people this week to get results of my MRI scan, not expecting any miracle cure, hope you are ok?

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@woodbine
    Aww I pray the results are a positive outcome for you, you have been through so much.
    Im fine thanks recovering from my knee replacement 2 weeks ago still a bit fragile but definitely getting there.

Take care ❤️
  • woodbine
    Options
    We now have to wait to see who will be next to go under, Lidl believe it or not have announced the closure of a small number of stores, Asda are not in good shape and Morrisons have massive debts.

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 970 Pioneering
    Options

The Body Shop went downhill when Anita Roddick sold out to Nestle!!! She didn't care who bought it. A groundbreaking business all the same  <3  

I think the saddest one was Woolworths going down at 99 years old  :/

• Strawberry1
    Strawberry1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2,549 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My sincere apologies @woodbine . I was un aware of you health condition.  Shame on me . My heart goes out to you and I do hope you do get positive feedback. Best wishes. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    @Strawberry1 I have to phone tomorrow to make the appointment so hopefully wont have to wait too long, but they did say in the Summer that there wouldn't be much if anything they could do. Will update when I know something.

• Strawberry1
    Options
    Good luck with the phone call @woodbine . I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Gutted about The Body Shop. Their Camomile Cleansing Butter is one of my favourites!  
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think Jeremy Clarkson summed up the town centre problem well on Top Gear. The reason trading estates are so popular these days is that you are able and allowed to park your car - in a town centre, you can't.

A store local to us went out of business recently and they were offloading all their old stock for ~75% off RRP. The store was bustling and full of people saying what a nice shop it is and that they were so upset the store was going. If people liked it so much, why didn't they support it by patronising it when the products were full price?
  • woodbine
    Options
    Good luck with the phone call @woodbine . I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  
    Got an appointment for next Wednesday sooner than I might have expected.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news @woodbine <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

• woodbine
    Options
    Sadly the Bodyshop went into administration in the last hour, it was only sold to an equity firm In Nov., currently in the UK it trades from 200 shops with 2.000 staff what happens next is of course unclear.

• Strawberry1
    Options
    I wish you lots of luck @woodbine. I'm glad an appointment came through sooner than you expected.  Pleasing news . Keep us updated. Take care. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,403 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Gutted about The Body Shop. Their Camomile Cleansing Butter is one of my favourites!  
    My daughter uses that too and has done for quite a few years. She’s gutted too! She did say she’s going to stock up so at least she’ll have some for quite a while. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.