Pip and moving — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and moving

Options
letitbe
letitbe Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
edited March 1 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone I’ve been just been awarded pip and I think I will be finally able to afford my own 1 bedroom flat ( private ) . If I move within my City or to another City would it trigger another assessment for pip or UC LCWRA? I only got awarded pip last week . 
Also with  private rentals am I limited to the amount of bedrooms I can get ? If I move to another City I’d probably be able to afford a 2 bedroom ( if LHA didn’t cover I would use my pip for this ) . 
Thanks 

Comments

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    No it wouldn't trigger new assessments.
    But if the new city has cheaper 2 bedrooms it will have a lower lha too. Rents are horrendous and it is difficult to find a private landlord that will actually accept benefits. They have to say they do but they don't have to choose you. 
    I have hopefully finally found one that will and am going through referencing now. 🤞 It took 4 months including a month in emergency housing to get to this point though. It isn't easy.
  • letitbe
    Options
    No it wouldn't trigger new assessments.
    But if the new city has cheaper 2 bedrooms it will have a lower lha too. Rents are horrendous and it is difficult to find a private landlord that will actually accept benefits. They have to say they do but they don't have to choose you. 
    I have hopefully finally found one that will and am going through referencing now. 🤞 It took 4 months including a month in emergency housing to get to this point though. It isn't easy.
    4 months for a private rental ?
    I know it’s really difficult I really hope I’ll be able to get something. The City im thinking of moving to has much lower LHA amounts so most of my pip would go on that . 
    Glad you found somewhere and I hope the referencing  🤞 
  • letitbe
    Options
    I really hope it doesn’t trigger reassessments 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    letitbe said:
    Moving house doesn’t trigger a review. My daughter moved house in January and I reported changes on her journal and claimed housing element for the first time for her and no review was triggered. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • letitbe
    Options
    letitbe said:
    Moving house doesn’t trigger a review. My daughter moved house in January and I reported changes on her journal and claimed housing element for the first time for her and no review was triggered. 
    Thanks poppy . I’ve only just been awarded pip also so couldn’t face a review of that too . 
    If renting private I’m not limited to the amount of bedrooms I can have am I ? I’ll use my extra pip to pay anything over LHA . The extra space would really benefit my MH.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Moving house won’t prompt a PIP review either.

You can have as many bedrooms as you want when privately renting but you will be limited to the LHA according to your circumstances. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • letitbe
    Options

You can have as many bedrooms as you want when privately renting but you will be limited to the LHA according to your circumstances. 
    Thank you poppy and I hope you’re all settled and enjoying your new home . 
  • LMJ
    LMJ Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    Options
    Don't worry, it doesn't trigger reassessments. I moved from one country in the UK to another and everything carried on as it was. Good luck with your move!
  • letitbe
    Options
    LMJ said:
    Don't worry, it doesn't trigger reassessments. I moved from one country in the UK to another and everything carried on as it was. Good luck with your move!
    Thank you 🙏 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    letitbe said:

You’re welcome. One other thing, if you need regular overnight care because you’re now claiming PIP then you can claim an extra bedroom. 

All settled in, thank you and loving our new home! 
  • letitbe
    Options
    letitbe said:

You’re welcome. One other thing, if you need regular overnight care because you’re now claiming PIP then you can claim an extra bedroom. 

All settled in, thank you and loving our new home! 
    That’s great you’re all settled in and loving it :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.