Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

It's World Wildlife Day!

Options
Albus_Scope
Albus_Scope Posts: 4,878 Scope online community team

Yes folks, today marks the 11th World Wildlife Day (WWD) and I thought I'd say a little something about it.

On 20 December 2013 at the 68th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), Thailands proposal for a day to draw attention to and celebrate biodiversity was made a reality. WWD was born and each year it draws attention to a different aspect of animal conservation.  This year it's all about digital innovation. 

Technological innovation has made research, communication, tracking, DNA analysis and many other aspects of wildlife conservation easier, more efficient and accurate. Yet, uneven access to these new tools, environmental pollution and unsustainable applications of certain technologies remain critical issues for achieving universal digital inclusion by 2030. The better we can understand our world, the better we can help protect its inhabitants. :)

This can all sound very boring, but often schools from around the world take part in the international youth art contest, where budding young artists draw their favorite animals. Some of the entries have been amazing in previous years.

Now, to celebrate the day, I thought it'd be nice if everyone could tell me what their favorite animal is and why? 

For me, I love the tiny tardigrade. Also known as water bears or moss piglets, the tardigrade is a microscopic powerhouse, able to withstand extremes in temperatures and can be found in the deepest oceans to the highest mountains. They can survive the vacuum of space, boiling water AND frozen ice.  Not to mention they can go 30 years without food or water.  They're pretty amazing little things. :)

Over to you my lovely community friends. :) 
Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Neurodivergent.

Comments

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fabulous post. Thank you. 
    I have to say a dog. Is my favourite animal Because of Betty. And the only honest and loyal friend and kindest friend I ever have had my whole entire life has been a dog. 

But wildlife. I honestly can’t choose. From the birds I see courting in my garden now telling me spring is just around the corner. To a beautiful elephant that I just want to hug. Or a bear that I want to cuddle. Or the funny aggressive geese in the park. Down to the little beautiful squirrels or the frogs. And I adore all sea life. 
    I am sorry I just can’t choose 

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,878 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks @Ada, yes it's a very tough question for animal lovers! I'm glad you have your Betty, she sounds like a real sweetie. <3 

(And I'd totally hug a bear too) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.