How to cope with intrusive thoughts? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to cope with intrusive thoughts?

Options
OnlyAlex
OnlyAlex Scope Member Posts: 133 Pioneering

I’m ruminating a lot over my iPhone.

Because I don’t feel secure and in my normal routine, my brain finds something to latch on to. 

Apple reset my iPhone about a week before going on holiday and everything works fine on it now thankfully, but there’s a feature called ‘optimised battery charging’ where it learns your charging patterns and delays charging to full when you wake up which helps the battery longevity…

Thing is, I don’t think my iPhone had enough time to learn my patterns and I’m worried going on holiday will have broken this feature. But it must eventually work again when I get home? 

People must move house all the time or buy a phone on holiday? Sorry to go on.

Mum said she wouldn’t even know about the feature & that even if it doesn’t work ever again it’s not worth resetting the iPhone back to factory settings as the amount of time to set up everything again would take ages and I will probs buy a new phone in a few years or can have the battery replaced with Apple Care Support.

What are your views? I’m not sure if you have an iPhone, but it just helps the longevity of the device. The phone charges fine.

No need to answer this part, I realise my brain is a bit messed up haha.

How do you guys deal with intrusive thoughts that consume and overwhelm you and how do you work out a plan of what to do or what not to do? Cheers.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are justified in thinking being on holiday might affect the results but once you spend long enough at home it will learn that that's what you do most days of the year and adjust

The absolute worst case scenario that can happen is you will wake up early one day and your battery is still at 80% and not 100%, because it assumed you were going to sleep for longer so waited to charge the battery, I'm sure you will agree not a big deal!

I hope this helps a little bit!! :)
  • OnlyAlex
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    You are justified in thinking being on holiday might affect the results but once you spend long enough at home it will learn that that's what you do most days of the year and adjust

The absolute worst case scenario that can happen is you will wake up early one day and your battery is still at 80% and not 100%, because it assumed you were going to sleep for longer so waited to charge the battery, I'm sure you will agree not a big deal!

I hope this helps a little bit!! :)
    Thank you, it does help. It had never learnt my routine before going away so it was charging to 100% straight away. I’m worried that once I get home it will never learn as it didn’t have a chance to learn before going on holiday.

I’m not sure whether resetting the device in the event it never works and always charges to 100% is worth it just for unspecified additional battery health.
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Pioneering
    Options
    @OnlyAlex I think it just runs in the back ground on your phone in whatever area your in at home or abroad, I just take no notice of it to be honest.
    As for intrusive thoughts one thing that can help is to either put it down on paper and scribble it out and throw away or to tell a family member to help reason it out and also finding things to keep busy and put  focus elsewhere. I understand though you are out of your comfort zone so this will be more difficult for you. I know It can be all consuming and exhausting and find breathing exercise good or listening to music and podcasts helpful.
  • OnlyAlex
    Options
    Zimba said:
    @OnlyAlex I think it just runs in the back ground on your phone in whatever area your in at home or abroad, I just take no notice of it to be honest.
    As for intrusive thoughts one thing that can help is to either put it down on paper and scribble it out and throw away or to tell a family member to help reason it out and also finding things to keep busy and put  focus elsewhere. I understand though you are out of your comfort zone so this will be more difficult for you. I know It can be all consuming and exhausting and find breathing exercise good or listening to music and podcasts helpful.
    Thank you, I turned it off whilst on holiday but will turn it on when I get back home. That’s okay isn’t it?

I don’t know whether I should reset the device but I’m allowed to go on holiday after Apple resetting it. Not my fault if their feature never kicks in because I went on holiday. 
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Pioneering
    Options
    @OnlyAlex

Yes, it’s only used for trying to keep track on your battery health and charging I believe, so it shouldn’t matter if its turned off or on, I won’t of thought the phone would need resetting.
  • OnlyAlex
    Options
    Zimba said:
    @OnlyAlex

Yes, it’s only used for trying to keep track on your battery health and charging I believe, so it shouldn’t matter if its turned off or on, I won’t of thought the phone would need resetting.
    Thank you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.