Awaiting mandatory reconsideration. Decision has been made, please advise of your experience — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awaiting mandatory reconsideration. Decision has been made, please advise of your experience

Options
BuzzerButton
BuzzerButton Community member Posts: 27 Listener
Hi all. We applied for Pip early September 23. We received 2 points. We asked for age Uks help, for a mandatory reconsideration, but they said what we had written should change the points. They said everyone gets turned down first of all. We received text saying a decision due by 28/03. We’ve called them and the caller said a decision has been made & is posted to us. It can take ten days. 
When you have been successful, did you eg receive texts? Did they confirm on phone you had been successful, because our caller said they didn’t have access to our decision result. We may have a long wait because of Easter weekend, so just wondering how others received their news. 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @BuzzerButton and welcome to the community. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion.  I received my news via a letter, then the second time, I recieved a letter, then two days later a text. So you may just have to hold out a little longer I'm afraid! Hopefully they wont leave you waiting too long and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • BuzzerButton
    Options
    Thankyou Albus.  Sometimes I have read that when people call the pip line, they are given what the decision was on the phone. Thank you for your good wishes.  It’s on behalf of my Mum. We gave permission for them to access medical records, but we don’t believe they have, as gp said they would be in touch. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wouldn't say that everyone gets turned down at first because the stats do not suggest that. Although the stats up until Jan 2024 say that only 41% are awarded for new claims, that has reduced quite a lot since the previous stats were released. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/personal-independence-payment-statistics-to-january-2024/personal-independence-payment-official-statistics-to-january-2024#clearance-outcomes--awards

When you ring PIP, if they can see the decision they will usually tell you what it is. Though the majority of MR decisions remain the same. Only 26% of MR decisions change in the claimants favour. 

As for evidence, they very rarely contact anyone for this, even though you gave permission for them to access medical records. It's the claimants responsibility to prove they qualify, not their's. 

If the decision doesn't change you can proceed to Tribunal. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BuzzerButton
    Options
    Hi Poppy. I’m trawling through the boards and I can see that most people get a text. I did provide medical evidence of severe emphysema etc.  There are several other medical conditions included. 
    When interviewed, everything I had written, the nurse had said that she did not believe it and said my mum was capable in her assessment.eg Because she didn’t have a panic attack during her telephone consultation m she therefore mustn’t get panic attacks. 
    I gave lots of examples. 
    My mum really needs this money. We will definitely fight this. It just feels very upsetting that they are squeezing this fight out. My mum was in intensive care for four days. I’m not going into details over the internet, but trust me, this money should be hers. 
    I was aware online that people said the mr decision is usually the same as the initial decision, I just can’t believe how much I have written and evidence I have provided has still been declined. 
    Of course, we will fight for this. Bitterly. 
    Thank you for your advice 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.