ESA And UC Claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA And UC Claim

Options
Dowen1994
Dowen1994 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, Im hoping someone can help me and explain a few things for me. My Mother is on ESA and in the Support group she also claims UC  and is in the LCWRA group, her UC has deductions of £561 and it says this is an average of ESA she receives but I can't workout how this is an average of the amount she receives? Also Iv worked out her being one both ESA and UC. with this deductions makes her worse off by around £45ish. If I was to stop the ESA claim other than stopping the deductions would this have another effect to her council tax support or would she have to look for work etc. She is too disabled to look for work which is why she's in support group and LCWRA  but I don't want to mess things up by removing the ESA and end up losing her council tax support etc sorry its a long post but id be grateful for any help  

Comments

• Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Options
    ESA is paid weekly and UC is paid monthly. 

So to get the ESA equal you multiply by 52 &  divide by 12
    129.50 x 52 /12 is £561.

How do you work out that she is worse off by £45?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    She is not worse off by claiming ESA as well as UC. ESA is a weekly benefit paid fortnightly. UC is a monthly benefit. To work out the deduction for ESA from UC you times the ESA weekly amount by 52 and then divide by 12 to get the monthly amount.. so £129.50 x 52 = £6,734 divided by 12 = £561.16/month deduction for her UC.

For her ESA there will be 1 month a year where she will be entitled to 3 payments, instead of 2.

I see no reason to stop her ESA claim for numerous reasons...
    1/ It's not means tested like UC is. Therefore you don't know what her circumstances maybe in the future. UC is means tested so if she had savings or lived with a partner that earned too much her UC could stop but her ESA will continue.

2/ It's paid fortnightly which often helps to budget a little better.

3/ she will receive class 1 NI credits for ESA but only class 3 for UC.

So many people wish they had claimed ESA when they should have but missed out and now find out it's too late to claim it.  

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dowen1994
    Dowen1994 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou it’s my fault I was working it out as 129.5 x 4 = 518, I couldn’t understand where the 561 came from!. Thanks again for your help 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem at all. Many people get confused by this, it's easily done. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @Dowen1994 and welcome to the community. 

I'm glad to see you managed to sort that out. I just wanted to stop in and say a quick hello. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.