Scope and trackers — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scope and trackers

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
Was quite surprised when I looked into it that this scope webpage has 12 thats twelve trackers including bing.com/doubleclick/hotjar etc etc.

So I suppose the questions are why? and do I like them doing it or do you ?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,775 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Erm I don't know what it means 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,019 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 5
    Options
    @Sandy_123 I think it means your being followed and your post can be seen.  
    I don’t like the idea at all 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Well they'd be pretty bored following me I only usually make it to the kettle lol....no but I know what you mean 
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Pioneering
    Options
    I can only see two cloudflare and google tag manager. It might be you have visited other sites and its trackers from them maybe.
  • Ada
    edited April 5
    Options
    Lol @Sandy_123 Me too x  

thanks @Zimba x
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,445 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I’m going to sound stupid but I don’t understand it all. 

• Sandy_123
    Options
    @woodbine where did you find that info I can't see it anywhere 
  • Ada
    Options
    Not stupid @Lou67 I don’t get it on my phone ? But I do on my laptop. I recon @woodbine and @Zimba Can explain it better than I can 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    You see on your laptop @ada I don't on my tablet, unless it's under me nose. 
  • Lou67
    edited April 5
    Options

@Ada
    Thanks Ada yes hopefully they will explain it. 
    Oh I just remembered I pay an extra £1 a month on my Vodafone SIM card and they block trackers but I’m still not sure what they can do to our devices. 
  • Zimba
    Options
    All depends on your cookie settings also which can be found in your settings, and which browser you use.

• Zimba
    Options
    On some browsers there is a little lock 🔒 or AA in the search bar if you click on it it will bring up a menu. Or you can just clear your browser history that also clears them.
  • Lou67
    Options
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I didn't realise until I started using a newer version of the Safari OS on my MacBook you can click on a small shield and it identifies which trackers are on the webpage you are on.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Zimba
    edited April 6
    Options
    If you scroll up which takes you to the bottom of the page you will see cookies link which takes you to all you need to know about different browsers and to change settings, click link and just scroll until you get to changing cookie settings and select which browser for more info.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello all,
    As Zimba said, you can look at the cookies page or our privacy notice on our website for more information on the sorts of cookies and information that is collected and why.

Cookies do things like letting you stay signed in rather than entering your username and password each time. They can also help us to see how many users have visited a particular page or discussion.

You can choose what data you allow us to collect by following the guidance on our cookies page and the instructions provided by your particular browser.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,852 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes trackers are normal for most sites and nothing to worry about really

As @woodbine on Safari you can see what trackers are used by a given site, there's probably a similar feature on PC

Apparently my computer prevents them from profiling me whatever that means

Personally I'm not bothered if I am profiled or not :D if they use my browsing habits to show me adverts for relevant stuff that I might like, rather than totally random stuff, go for it ... I don't think any of my browsing habits are of particular interest outside of that ... :D and if you were some kind of KGB agent and your browsing history was of interest the authorities would be able to find out anyway, regardless of what buttons you tick :blush: 
  • Lou67
    Options

Thanks everyone for explaining that I’m not great with technology 🤦‍♀️
  • Zimba
    edited April 6
    Options
    Trackers are mostly on every site and you do have the option to just use essential cookies only, me personally I do not want my purchases or elec/gas/phone/ and GP online etc tracked and then be bombarded with adverts of what I might be interested in to get me to buy more. I like to take my time and review and choose what’s right for me. Same as I never give my email out willy nilly as they can be collected and sold on unless otherwise stated. To me it limits the ability for other people to scam me.
  • honestjon
    honestjon Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    Lou67 said:

Thanks everyone for explaining that I’m not great with technology 🤦‍♀️
    It sounds to me like CCTV cameras that might be filming you when you are out and about. You might not want to be filmed but there's nothing to worry about.
    That is how I see it unless someone tells me I don't understand. They would be right because I don't 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.