Pip / LCWRA + homeless — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip / LCWRA + homeless

Options
letitbe
letitbe Community member Posts: 303 Pioneering
Hi everyone I receive LCWRA and have also recently been awarded high pip on both. I’m going to lose my private rented flatshare and everything is overwhelming me, I’ve been messaging landlords but they won’t accept full benefits . What happens to both my benefits if I’m homeless with no fixed address . Would I lose my LCWRA and pip , I know you can claim UC if homeless but obviously wouldn’t get the housing element. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Benefits will continue even with no fixed abode. 

What is the reason why your landlord is evicting you? Have you received a S21 notice?

It’s not easy finding a landlord that will accept someone claiming benefits. If you do manage to find someone they could ask for a guarantor. 

Have you put your name down on the housing list? It may not be a very quick process to be rehoused but at least your name will be on the list. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,412 Scope online community team
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've had no luck with the landlords @letitbe, it sounds really overwhelming. Have you got somewhere safe to stay once your tenancy finishes, or will you be in temporary accommodation?

I'm not an expert on this but from what I've read, you can claim your benefits using a 'care of' address. It can be a friend, family member or anywhere where you know you'd be able to collect post or have it forwarded on to you. I've also read that some job centres will take your benefits-related post for you in exceptional circumstances, but it seems that what they regard as exceptional can vary from place to place.

I don't think you'd lose your health element (LCWRA) as your health hasn't changed, just your address. But as you say, your housing element will change depending on where you're staying. Is there anywhere you can think of that might work?
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • letitbe
    Options
    Thanks Poppy and Rosie 
    I’m just really panicking and not coping with it. 
    I’ve known the landlord for a long time and he’s been good to me over the years dealing with all my issues. He told me he’s selling and gave me 6 months notice but I was in hospital twice last year and I’ve just let things overwhelm me and ignored them so it’s my fault. I told him I’d just leave and not to worry,  because of my impulsivity I say and do things that end up making everything worse for me. 
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 320 Pioneering
    Options
    Just because you've said that doesn't mean you have to follow through. 

If you make yourself intentionally homeless then the Council will not help you. 

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction

Was it a Section 21 notice that you received? 
  • letitbe
    Options
    I know and I have pip and LCWRA to pay for private 1 bedroom but agents won’t get back to me. I’ve been sending messages for properties but just ignored . 
    I just don’t know what to do , my panic is making everything worse. 
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 320 Pioneering
    edited April 10
    Options
    It is very hard to find rented property in the private sector when on benefits. Especially when there is a shortage of property available and a high demand overall. 

You could try Open Rent as you communicate directly with LL's and not agents. 

https://www.openrent.co.uk/

The housing department at  local council may be of help, some keep lists of benefit friendly landlords (as an example).

You can also register for social housing
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-council-housing

Do you have any family or friends to help support you with your mental health, as you go through this difficult process? 
  • letitbe
    Options
    Thank you 
    I have tried open rent and sent a few messages . 
    The thing is because of my pip back pay I can pay deposit and a few months rent in advance but they just don’t give a chance, most people on benefits are good people. 
    I don’t have any family where I live and most friends can’t really support me because of my condition I push everything away and make it worse for myself . I’m under CMHT but they aren’t that helpful. I hope I’ll be ok . 
  • letitbe
    Options
    I’ve been on housing list since 2017 but they put me in lowest band so can’t bid . Everything is my fault because I haven’t updated my circumstances with the council since 2017 . 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.