Finding private rental on benefits in London — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finding private rental on benefits in London

Options
Toro123
Toro123 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Does anyone have any PRACTICAL tips and can share any tips on  how to find 1bedroom flat in London to rent?

Im 40 ,single,unemployed, on disability beenfits, after relationship breakdown. I live in a small town so 1 bedroom flats are almost no existent and thats why Im relocating.

What websites apart from Zoopla or Rightmove, what documents will be accepted as a proof of income from benefits, references and so on? Im intrested in any advice like this.

I tried Open rent but all I got was landlords telling me I was wasting my time and boosting  they get  80 applicants per property. Im starting to be very sceptical to it now anyway  as I saw the same flats on Zoopla for weeks with even reduced rent.

I have already read enough much negativity and doom and gloom around private rental in London so please dont reply with more as this wont help me!  

Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not just London with the problem, it's all over the country. Very few landlords accept anyone claiming benefits. If you are lucky enough to find someone then they may ask for a guarantor. 

Proof of income would be bank statements and/or benefits letters. A reference could be your previous landlord. If a guarantor is needed then they would also do checks on them too. 

There's a website here.https://app.dssmove.co.uk/ you can also look on gumtree for your area but please be aware of scammers on there because they often target that website. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.