If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Words You Dislike

Options
Ada
Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,206 Disability Gamechanger
I use it myself and yet I dislike the word “Love” because it’s used far to flippantly. I much prefer using all the words it should stand for. Like. Respect. Admire. Think the world of.  Care For. etc 
its a word that I don’t trust 

for instance on one of my podcasts. This woman will say. “ thanks for listening and I love you “ 
No she doesn’t love me. We’ve never met. Never held a conversation. She doesn’t know me. And it really bugs me that she says it all the time. 

Keeping it clean and respectful ( unlike my other thread ) 

what words do You dislike

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,546 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm another that doesn't like to over-use the word 'love'. I've always felt like it'll mean more to someone when I do say I love them if I don't constantly say it.

I also hate the word 'bile'. And as someone with a biliary disorder that gets difficult :D I'd much rather explain my condition in other ways even if it doesn't come across quite right. Bile is just such a grim word to me 🤢

I'm sure there's more but I'll have to have a think!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Scrumptious67
    Scrumptious67 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Compliant/non-compliance - especially when used in the workplace to make you feel like a petulant child. 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,048 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I kind of have the same attitude to swearing as you have for the word "love" - my brother swears every other sentence so no one bats an eyelid when he does - I never swear and I like to think if I did one day then people would do a double take and assume that something awful must have happened :D 

A word I dislike for no reason at all - "formulae" - I was told to use it by a maths teacher instead of "formulas". I don't know why, as I tend to be quite picky about getting my grammar right, but I just don't like the word, it seems too "right"!! Almost like you are trying too hard if that makes sense?? :D 

A bit like "stadia" which is the plural of "stadium". When a footballer, who tends to have an IQ of about 60, uses that word, it just sounds so wrong!!! Just say "stadiums" because it is more in line with the rest of what you are saying :D 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,726 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 1
    Options
    Nice what does it even mean. Nice dress, nice weather, nice meal !!! It describes nothing.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    Beaver79 said:
    Nice what does it even mean. Nice dress, nice weather, nice meal !!! It describes nothing.
    Biscuits ?  :pensive:

As someone constantly getting told off by my wife for swearing, and having worked in an industry where it was second nature when things went invariably wrong.  

But a woman or man using the word 'slash' to describe needing to urinate sets my teeth on edge
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One that gets on my bust ends that I suppose isn't even a word is when they say.  TERday, or TERmorrow its today or tomorrow
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,672 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I dislike the word 'disabled'...  I know that's probably controversial on here.

Even though logically I know I am 'less able' than others, there seems to be something about that word that really grates on me.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    “Love” for example, when someone says something like “hello love or thank you love.” well, I’m not your love or anyone else’s so please don’t call me it. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ada
    Options
    Have to totally agree with @poppy123456 I find the “hello love” thing very rude. I don’t see it as a warm greeting more as they think I’m beneath them. Definitely rude. 
  • Ada
    Options
    @Beaver79 Have you ever watched “Mrs browns boys” she uses the words “that’s nice” for a completely different meaning. When she says “ that’s nice “ she’s actually saying. dot dot dot dot off. 

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I do not watch Mrs Browns Boys but interesting meaning for nice.
  • JJinPA
    JJinPA Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Options
    I hate the ef word.  It's not the word.  It's how it is misused grammatically.  What the ef does it even mean when you use it as what the ef?  You can say the same sentence without it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,416 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I do t really have any dislikes to words, I do find it strange when men call woman mate, unless it's just me 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Out of interest, from the female perspective, what is an appropriate term for a man to use for a woman when they don't know their name?

Say they've dropped their keys in a public area and you need to alert them of that for example?
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 618 Pioneering
    Options
    Out of interest, from the female perspective, what is an appropriate term for a man to use for a woman when they don't know their name?

Say they've dropped their keys in a public area and you need to alert them of that for example?

Yo missus :D
  • onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Options
    Well I certainly think I'd make a few people's toes curl, I'm sorry, but I speak 'like a docker!!' 😂
    I can curb my language when needed, but it's just how it naturally flows with friends.  And I say ' love' a lot, as in ' alright love'. Said in a different tone it can mean anything from an affectionate welcoming hello, an OK in agreement, in condolence or in a confrontational way.
    @OverlyAnxious , I don't know the appropriate term you'd use, I suppose it depends what environment you were in? I'd personally not take any offence to a 'Yo missus!' @noman or an ' oi love' 'excuse me love ' or 'Youhee!",  'Ouhee!' or ' 'Excuse me Mrs!',  I'd be appreciative that someone had alerted me if Id dropped something 😁
    As for words I don't like:
    Guff - as in when someone lets wind. 🤢 Its too descriptive for me 🤢
    I apologise in advance if I have lowered the tone of what I thought was an intriguing question @Ada

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Ooh this is interesting, I guess I'd ask what would you say to a man? And the equivalent is probably the appropriate answer

Do you just shout 'excuse me'? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options

Ooh this is interesting, I guess I'd ask what would you say to a man? And the equivalent is probably the appropriate answer

Do you just shout 'excuse me'? 
    For most men it'd just be 'Oi, mate'.  :|
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Go with the same :D

Or 'Miss' instead of mate? 
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Options
    my full name i prefer mike or micky when i get called michael i have to think hard about what i have not got away with being an old farmer i dont get annoyed with what people say or how people speak as long as there honest with me 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.