If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Elliekeisha123! how much back pay I should receive from lwrca?

Options
Elliekeisha123
Elliekeisha123 Community member Posts: 27 Listener
edited May 4 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I’m wondering if anyone can help me with how much back pay I should receive from lwrca thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,239 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You haven't given any information for me to be able to advise. Whether there's any money owed to you will depend on answer to the following questions. 

1/ What date exactly did you provide your first fit note?
    2/ What date do you usually receive your money each month?

Not everyone is owed money. This is because there's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time. The extra money is then paid from the 4th month after you provided your first fit note, with first payment being the end of that month. LCWRA element is not paid at all during the waiting period. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,782 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @Elliekeisha123 and welcome to the community. :)

I can see Poppy has already leapt to your aid, but I just wanted to pop in and say a quick hello and let you know I've moved your discussion over to the UC category, so more people will be able to find it if they have the same question. I hope that's ok? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    Hi I have wrote it again I’m new to this and couldn’t find how to get back on here 🤦‍♀️😂so I first ever gave my fit note on the 28th of July 22 after a mess about by uc I finally got awarded on the 2/11/23 they was trying to start my award from then and I disputed it and won an appeal so they changed the start date to the first fit note date  I have had payments before this was sorted and my first payment was in the January this year I get paid on the 9th of each month Imthey rang me yesterday and told me I’m owed £2000 but I’m not sure if that is right any help would be brilliant thankyou 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    How much they owe you will depend on how much UC you've already received. When they work out what is owed they recalculate your past statements to see how much you've already received against that you should have received and you will receive the difference between the two. You should have received a letter on your journal, did you receive that?

It's impossible to tell you exactly how much is owed because I don't know how much you've already received. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    I’ve had jan/feb/march  and April’s lwrca payments up to yet at £390 per payment the waiting period was from October to the December and then the first payment in the January sorry I’m rubbish at explaining things 🥴😂and thankyou for getting back to me 😊
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    And I didn’t get a letter I got a phone call and I mentioned it didn’t seem right so she’s sent on my journal sort of a break down but I’m still no wiser to what it all means 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did you continue to provide them without any gaps until a decision was made on your work capability assessment?

What date do you usually receive your money each month?
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    Hi I’ve not missed any and this is why I won the appeal to change the date from when  I had the health assessment and awarded to the original date to the July 2022 so that’s all been updated on my journal etc  I’m grateful for any back pay but just after speaking to a friend she doesn’t think it works out right 
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    and the 9th of each month sorry just read it again and seen you asked the date 😊
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    Heya @Elliekeisha123 and welcome to the community. :)

I can see Poppy has already leapt to your aid, but I just wanted to pop in and say a quick hello and let you know I've moved your discussion over to the UC category, so more people will be able to find it if they have the same question. I hope that's ok? 

• Elliekeisha123
    Options
    Hi thanku appreciate it 😊
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That means your waiting period will be Aug/Sept, Sept/Oct, Oct/Nov 2022... LCWRA starts from 3rd Nov to 2nd Dec and first payment will be 9th Dec 2022. 

This is assuming you weren't claiming UC with a partner at that time that already receives the LCWRA on your claim.

Or you weren't claiming carers element for yourself at any time from then because claiming this will mean they would owe you less money. 
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    Hi no wasn’t claiming with a partner also I did / do get  carers for my son but still do now and the payments are still as they should be don’t know if that helps you 
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    They have always taken the carers allowance off me as it’s classed as a earning isn’t it but I’m still getting that now for my son 
  • poppy123456
    edited May 4
    Options
    Hi no wasn’t claiming with a partner also I did / do get  carers for my son but still do now and the payments are still as they should be don’t know if that helps you 
    Carers allowance is a separate benefit to UC but it's  deducted in full. What affects the LCWRA is if your UC included the carers element at the time the extra money is paid from, this could explain why they only owed you about £2,000. 

The same person can't receive both LCWRA and carers element at the same time. In this case the higher element will be paid, which is the LCWRA element. If your UC included the carers element at that time then they will only owe you the difference between carers element and LCWRA, so you won't be owed the full amount. 

This is why I advised it won't be possible to tell you exactly how much is owed because it depends on how much you've receive in total up until that time and you will be paid the difference between the two. 
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    Hi yeah this makes sense then so do you think my carers will stop then as I’ve still been getting it aswell as the lcwra or is it something I will need to update myself sorry for all of he questions just a bit worried now that I should have let them know thankyou and thankyou for helping me understand about the payments it’s appreciated 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If it's carers allowance (which is a separate benefit) that has continued then that's fine but there's no financial gain to claiming it at the same time as UC because it's just deducted in full. The only advantage to this is you'll receive class 1 NI credits but for UC you only receive class 3. 

The carers element of UC which is what I was talking about is what you can't claim at the same time as the LCWRA element. 
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    Are you allowed to send pics on here just wanted to send the break down if what they sent me obviously not showing any personal details and then you have an idea of what they amounts were if not that’s fine 😊
  • Elliekeisha123
    Options
    Ive only ever claim carers allowance unless they added  the element on without me knowing 😂
    but I only claim that carers allowance for my son 😊
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes you can post a break down but as you correctly stated, please make sure all personal information is covered, such as names, NI number, address etc etc. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.