If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do people spend pip on ?

Options
letitbe
letitbe Community member Posts: 340 Pioneering
edited May 7 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I get a lot of pip and wanted to pay for private therapy for my MH. I’ve contacted a lot of private therapists and as soon as I tell them my diagnosis and that I was in psychiatric hospital they don’t want to help because of safeguarding. I don’t know what to do and I don’t know what to spend pip on . 
Why won’t private therapists help me ? 
What do people spend pip on ? 
Tagged:

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,677 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 5
    Options
    I wanted to spend some on a more suitable property to improve my quality of daily life.  But people like me are bottom of the HA priority and undesirable for private lets so I'm still trapped in an unsuitable property.

I wanted to spend some on a vehicle that met my needs and could be relied upon through Motability.  However I didn't meet the PIP requirements for Motability access so that hasn't been possible either.  I have since lost the ability to drive or travel at all.

And lastly I wanted to spend it on private treatment, as I found huge barriers to accessing NHS treatment.  But realised, similar to yourself, that private treatment is no more accessible than NHS, so that hasn't been possible either.

So ultimately I went through all of the hassle and stress of PIP to end up in a worse position physically & mentally and with extra income that I can't use and is a constant source of anxiety due to the savings limits on ESA.  If I knew then what I know now, I'd never have gone through the PIP process.  Obviously it works well for some people, probably many people, but certainly not everyone.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,106 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What kind of therapists have you been contacting??

I have had contact with a few mental health professionals and found that the ones who seemed to have more qualifications (but were naturally more expensive) were more willing to take different stuff on. Maybe it's an insurance thing, like they need to be at a certain level before they can take on certain types of patient?

I did find the "lower" end of the market (people that are more of a professional friend and who charge tens not hundreds per hour) is quite a murky area because there doesn't seem to be any requirement for certain qualifications, or even to have any at all. Not that if you find the right person who you "gel" with that qualifications are the be-all-and-end-all, but it's just something to consider
  • letitbe
    Options
    I wanted to spend some on a more suitable property to improve my quality of daily life.  But people like me are bottom of the HA priority and undesirable for private lets so I'm still trapped in an unsuitable property.

I wanted to spend some on a vehicle that met my needs and could be relied upon through Motability.  However I didn't meet the PIP requirements for Motability access so that hasn't been possible either.  I have since lost the ability to drive or travel at all.

And lastly I wanted to spend it on private treatment, as I found huge barriers to accessing NHS treatment.  But realised, similar to yourself, that private treatment is no more accessible than NHS, so that hasn't been possible either.

So ultimately I went through all of the hassle and stress of PIP to end up in a worse position physically & mentally and with extra income that I can't use and is a constant source of anxiety due to the savings limits on ESA.  If I knew then what I know now, I'd never have gone through the PIP process.  Obviously it works well for some people, probably many people, but certainly not everyone.
    I get and understand a lot of what you say , I’ve been trying to move to a suitable property as well and everytime I message private landlords I’m knocked back or completely ignored, it’s really unfair the stigma we have because we’re on benefits. 
    The stress you have of the extra income and savings limit is the exact same stress I have and TBH I wish I never received pip either . If I get a flat of my own or a therapist takes me on it will be useful but atm it’s caused me nothing but stress and anxiety like it has for you. 
  • letitbe
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    What kind of therapists have you been contacting??

I have had contact with a few mental health professionals and found that the ones who seemed to have more qualifications (but were naturally more expensive) were more willing to take different stuff on. Maybe it's an insurance thing, like they need to be at a certain level before they can take on certain types of patient?

I did find the "lower" end of the market (people that are more of a professional friend and who charge tens not hundreds per hour) is quite a murky area because there doesn't seem to be any requirement for certain qualifications, or even to have any at all. Not that if you find the right person who you "gel" with that qualifications are the be-all-and-end-all, but it's just something to consider
    A lot of the therapists I’ve been contacting have mainly been clinical psychologists that say in their profile that they deal with ‘complex MH’ but as soon as I tell them I have EUPD and was in hospital because I was suicidal they don’t want to know. In a way I understand the concerns they have but how am I to get better if not even given the chance to try and work out my struggles. I just don’t know what to do ? I could omit the EUPD and hospital stay and just say I have anxiety / depression etc but then I’d not be truthful and if I was to bring up later they’d question why I didn’t tell them from the onset . I can’t see any other way to spend pip than to pay for therapy because I’m desperate to understand why I am the way I am and I want to get better. 
  • letitbe
    edited May 5
    Options
    Most of the psychologists I’ve been contacting are in the £140 per 50min range - there are a lot that are cheaper but I thought I’d pay for more experienced ones .  A few didn’t even message back . 
  • letitbe
    Options
    Really disheartening 

• WebWaves
    WebWaves Scope Member Posts: 163 Pioneering
    Options
    I use my PIP for private psychological sessions with an Autistic trained therapist, this costs £130 per session. The local authority won't offer any support and the NHS don't have the resources. How I would be able to get the support I need with these new proposals from the Government I do not know...
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    it goes in the bank..gets spent...end of
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• letitbe
    edited May 5
    Options
    OnlyAlex said:
    I use my PIP for private psychological sessions with an Autistic trained therapist, this costs £130 per session. The local authority won't offer any support and the NHS don't have the resources. How I would be able to get the support I need with these new proposals from the Government I do not know...
    That’s good to know that you found someone to help :) I’ve had therapy on NHS, mostly bad but some good . 
    I think the way forward is a private therapist who can get to the root of the issue? Hopefully I’ll find a therapist soon . 
  • letitbe
    Options
    woodbine said:
    This is very helpful useful information, thanks 🙏 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    letitbe said:
    woodbine said:
    Is it forbidden to be honest now on here ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 145 Pioneering
    Options
    My daughter currently paying a private coach for her OCD.  She has had other private therapists for her OCD over last 9 years and all helped to some degree but her coach suffers from OCD & she's found this more helpful.  My daughter also has a PG diploma in counselling skills and before choosing her previous therapist booked a short test session with 3 of them to see if she liked them.  Aside from that her PIP goes on extremely high gas & electric costs due to impact of her disability plus she can't go out alone or use public transport, has excessive spending compulsions when stressed, good food, toiletries etc. gets binned due to contamination.  
  • RobertDavies
    RobertDavies Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    My wife suffers with EUPD and we spend her PIP mostly on me being with her 24 hours a day. She’s had it as a result of childhood abuse and attempted suicide several times but always been saved by those around her. Last decade I was convicted of fraud and went to prison for 2 1/2 years which was completely my fault. She was the one to suffer and but for the support of then our teenage children would have either been dead or sectioned. Since I returned and she’s been awarded PIP we’ve been able to keep her out of hospital and safe but it’s a constant battle and she has permanently broken hands from wall punching in the milder episodes of her anguish.

As it’s a “chronic, server” condition she’s been granted a 10 year review date but I’m unable to tell her that there is now a risk that legislative change may alter this. We have a car on the mobility scheme because the condition even controls her ability to move around so vouchers for that wouldn’t alter things but without the daily living element she would last only a few hours alone with me away working.

Reading this I realise it sounds as though I’m wining about having something taken away which others aren’t lucky enough to benefit from and that my past makes me fortunate to have any support at all but going through more PIP uncertainty would probably be unbearable and deadly for her. 
  • letitbe
    Options
    woodbine said:
    letitbe said:
    woodbine said:
    Not in the slightest Woodbine . 
  • letitbe
    Options
    woodbine said:
    letitbe said:
    woodbine said:

:) 
  • EstherT
    EstherT Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Pip it doesn’t cover the full independence people need. At present I get enhanced mobility that most of what I receive provides an electric power wheelchair, on Motability.  But never understood how this plus all ailments and hearing disability’s don’t affect my daily living? (Don’t receive this part) My daughter helps with my care but there are more than 35 hours in a week. 
    My other worry is this everyone to fill a job.  I have chronic conditions that restricts so many parts of my life and has contributed to being an anxious person. Plus the SAD I get in dark, wet, cold months.  
    I want to be well, fit and able but can’t magic away my disabilities.  I’m sure many feel the same.  The government makes it sound like we have a choice. 

• griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 145 Pioneering
    Options

My daughter gets enhanced care as we could evidence the high level of care she requires from multiple people.  Mobility is only standard as at time of application she was unable to leave the house.  This continued for 2 years with her only attending emergency medical appointments.   Now she's going out with support which we've detailed on review.  It's costing me a fortune in petrol supporting her going out.  

She does work full time.  She works from home with a public sector employer who employed her after she declared her disability on her application form.  They make reasonable adjustments for her with 100% working from home for over 3 years, allowing flexible hours , MH breaks during the day when she needs, sickness related to her disability doesn't go against her.   Without this support & understanding she would not be able to work.  Her previous employer was cruel in his responses to her MH.   The Govt. need to supply support to employers so they can employ disabled people.  My daughters MH benefits from her working but little things like being unable to drive to work, use public transport means she needs support.   Her manager encourages staff to attend office 1 day a week if able as they recognise working in isolation can be difficult.  Indeed my daughter admitted late last year she felt very lonely being home alone all day. 
  • WebWaves
    WebWaves Scope Member Posts: 163 Pioneering
    Options
    letitbe said:
    OnlyAlex said:
    That’s good to know that you found someone to help :) I’ve had therapy on NHS, mostly bad but some good . 
    I think the way forward is a private therapist who can get to the root of the issue? Hopefully I’ll find a therapist soon . 
    I obviously can only comment based on my experience but yes, I am finding a private psychologist really helpful. Best of luck with your search! 
  • duc749
    duc749 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    I receive standard mobility and daily living. In my opinion I deserve higher rate mobility but don’t have the energy to appeal. Most of my money goes on my Car boot mobility scooter and road legal mobility scooter hire. 

I have has most a lot of problems so in the winter have to keep my house warm so most of the spare money goes on the ever increasing cost of energy. Also cannot work do to my health conditions so more energy is used being at home. If the government force disabled people into work which they are planning that cannot work I don’t think there would be many opportunity for me as I am not very mobile. 

I have heard that PIP will be paid by the process of vouchers and a small annual sum as part of a review into the way disability payments are paid. For me this would make good sense as long as I can pay my mobility scooter hire and extra money towards energy, heating and still remain my disabled parking card as I rely greatly on this. 

Hope everyone as a good day.
  • mrsBB
    mrsBB Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Hi all

Just for one of my chronic and what's going to be life long conditions it costs me between £30-£50 per ( depending on offers available ) week on two 2ltr bottles of bath additive that I have to use for all washing even hand washing.

I have to wash, apply dressings and bandage my legs around 4 times per day minimum, the additive is available on prescription but my local budgeting authority ( there is a name for this but my foggy head hinders my recall ) have decided bath additives are to no longer be prescribed under any circumstances and I have to pay. Even a recommendation from a consultant and letters I have sent to my GP and practice manager quoting and directly linking them to the provision of this additive to folk with my condition as being an acceptable exemption from the ruling and that I can be prescribed it, has led to absolute no ! 

I would never be able to afford the above without PIP and that's just one example of many items I have and continue to purchased over the years. It really isn't all about aids, though I have bought plenty of those too, there are so many other things we disabled folk need that those without disabilities would never even think of.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.