Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Managing sons money

flakie Community member Posts: 11 Connected
I’m not sure if this is the right category for my question but it seems the closest! My son is 41 and dependent on me (and dad) for 24/7 support. He lives at home. I am the appointee for his benefits etc (PIP and ESA). We don’t have any sort of deputyship so as far as I’m aware don’t need to account for what he spends. We take ‘housekeeping’ from him every month as we would if he was just working and living at home to cover food (which he is very fond of!) toiletries (I think he eats toothpaste!) and petrol costs as he attends a day service 15 miles away three days a week so 6 round trips of 30 miles plus all the other days when he’s out and about. We have just upgraded our car to a bigger one as he’s been having difficulty getting in and out of the Corsa we had as he’s 6’4” and about 18 stone (told you he likes his food!). What I would like to know do you think we would be justified in letting him contribute something towards the additional cost we have paid to change the car? He is the reason we have done it and will get the benefit from it. I’m not sure whether, if there is any sort of review of his finances for any changes to his benefits, they might think it’s deprivation of assets. Has anyone else come up against this sort of issue? Thanks. 


  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,631 Scope online community team
    Hi @flakie

    I can't be 100% certain as this isn't something I've got personal experience of, but I think it would be unlikely that this would be seen as deprivation of assets if you'd be able to justify that it was for the benefit of your son. As long as you're not doing it solely to bring your son's capital below the limits for his ESA, then I don't think it would get flagged up as suspicious. Especially if the car is primarily used as transport for him. 

    But hopefully one of our lovely members has been through similar and can share some more solid advice :)
    Rosie (she/her)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,318 Disability Gamechanger
    If any part of his ESA is Income Related then savings of less than £6,000 are ignored. For every £250  or part thereof over this amount there will be a £1/week deduction in his ESA. Savings of more than £16,000 then entitlement to means tested benefits would end. 

    If he has savings of more than £6,000 then as his appointee it's your responsibility to report those changes to ESA. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.