EHCP shall I stop?
Hello to everyone.
Dear forum members please help me.
I am looking for some advice regarding my son, who is currently in Year 11 and has an EHCP. He would like to continue to a mainstream school Sixth Form and study A-levels.I am worried about whether having an EHCP could affect his chances of being accepted into a mainstream Sixth Form, even if he meets the academic entry requirements. Could a Sixth Form refuse him because they feel they cannot meet the provision in his EHCP?I would also like to understand how the process works. When should we expect to know which Sixth Form he will attend? Will the decision about his post-16 placement be made before his final GCSE results, based on predicted grades, or only after the GCSE results are released?I am currently considering whether his EHCP should continue or cease, so I would really appreciate independent advice before making this decision.His annual review is next week and I spoken with the coordinator,she told me that if he will apply with others it’s only based on his results,if he will apply with EHCP than it’s also based on his needs.He has an autistic spectrum,and he only has the plan for one year,I am thinking if he managed to study without the plan,maybe I should cease completely?I don’t want to ruin his future education,as it’s me who did applied and I am so much worried now.
Please help me with the advice.
Thank you very much for your help.
Comments
-
Hi @Maho75 and a warm welcome to the community from me!
Under the law, children with EHCPs have the right to go to a mainstream school and schools should be there to welcome and support them.They can only turn a pupil away in rare cases and they have to prove that having your son there would significantly impact other students learning and that there’s truly no reasonable way around it and no adjustments at all can be made.
You won't be able to stop his EHCP as only the local authority has the power to cease an EHCP.How are you feeling about the annual review meeting? What is your son hoping to study at A Level😊
0
Categories
- All Categories
- 16.4K Start here and say hello!
- 7.7K Coffee lounge
- 122 Games den
- 1.8K People power
- 190 Announcements and information
- 25.8K Talk about life
- 6.2K Everyday life
- 437 Current affairs
- 2.5K Families and carers
- 889 Education and skills
- 2K Work
- 630 Money and bills
- 3.8K Housing and independent living
- 1.2K Transport and travel
- 673 Relationships
- 1.6K Mental health and wellbeing
- 2.6K Talk about your impairment
- 885 Rare, invisible, & undiagnosed conditions
- 949 Neurological impairments and pain
- 2.3K Cerebral Palsy Network
- 1.3K Autism and neurodiversity
- 41.7K Talk about your benefits
- 6.2K Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
- 20.6K PIP, DLA, ADP & AA
- 9.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 5.4K Benefits and income
