Equality for all, or just some? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Equality for all, or just some?

Options
milo
milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
edited April 2015 in Research and opportunities
Over recent days, I've read with interest some excellent pieces on here in regard to the public's perception of disability and what needs to change. I've faced my share of disparaging comments but I came across something today which made it seem insignificant and, in truth, made me feel guilty.

On the BBC's disability blog, I came across the story of Lobu, a young boy whose family are spearfisherman in Sulewesi. What, you may ask does this have to do with disability? The answer is that Lobu has hereditary muscular dystrophy , a condition I lost a friend to many years ago and can barely walk.

If he lived in the U.K, he would have access to a first class medical service and undoubtedly be provided with wheelchairs and adaptations to help him. In his village, built on stilts in the sea, he has none of this. No wheelchair, no splints not even basic pain relief. Instead, he is an object of ridicule, unable to help catch fish to support the community he is viewed as a burden. He doesn't attend school, not because of any mental impairment but because his father would be embarrassed to carry him there each day.

Now, I'm not saying we can help Lobu, although I'm willing to listen to any suggestions on that front, but while we all face daily difficulties due to disability I think the next time someone makes a comment about parking in marked bay etc, it's worth remembering that little boy facing an awful condition with none of the things we take for granted.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.