Welcomes and introductions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Hi, my name is Mandylou!

Hi, I am a Mother of a 22 year old son who has Cerebral palsy. Any help and advice for living as an adult with CP, jobs, coping with daily life, preparing for the pip assessment. Right now coping with a new job is a problem and how unhappy my son is! It's breaking my heart.


  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Hey Mandylou

    Has your son got a Disability Employment Advisor at the jobcentre? They could give him some support - possibly refer to a Work Choice provider who are able to give support to employees who are having an issue with their employer.

    If the problems with the new job are practical / to do with reasonable adjustments it may be worth him contacting Access to Work who can often cover the costs an employer would otherwise incur (eg transport, equipment or support staff)

    Regarding the PIP assessment - it would be worth familiarising himself with the descriptors so he knows what the assessors are looking for. Has he sent back his form yet? if not see if you can make an appointment with a benefits advisor who can help with form-filling.

    In terms of coping with daily life - does your son have a support worker? If not, it may be worth asking social services for this.

    It might be worth posting your query on a board in the community, perhaps one of these:




    Also if you have a question about disability the Scope helpline may be able to provide information.

    Hope this helps!

    -B x
Sign in or join us to comment.