ESA and universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA and universal credit

ellywest Member Posts: 1
Hi and thank you for adding me .my question is .I get ESA .my boyfriend is on universal credit .I want to move my boyfriend in with me .can I claim on my ESA for him .?


  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey ellywest

    welcome to the community :)

    Universal Credit and ESA are both pretty complicated benefits; it's not going to be possible to get accurate advice on here as ideally you'd need to sit down with a qualified benefits advisor face to face, get your paperwork out and his, to look at this in some detail.  

    have a look on the Scope service directory - if you select 'information' from the service type drop-down, you should be given a list of local advice services -many of these have benefits advisors available who can look at this properly with you.

    Don't make any decisions until you've had some decent advice; there are winners and losers with Universal Credit and it has a complex relationship with ESA so find out what will happen, before it happens!

    Let us know how you get on,

  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Member Posts: 944 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Hi ellywest, Welcome to the community. As BethSlade has already said, ESA and Universal Credit are complex benefits and it can be difficult to find definitive answers. UC is still really new and a lot of answers are yet to be discovered. If you're having difficulties finding the information you need locally get in touch with me at the helpline and I'll try and guide you through. Best wishes Debbie
  • shelliemarie
    shelliemarie Member Posts: 57 Listener
    ellywest said:
    Hi and thank you for adding me .my question is .I get ESA .my boyfriend is on universal credit .I want to move my boyfriend in with me .can I claim on my ESA for him .?
    i did for my partner but check it out
  • kiewie111
    kiewie111 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi i claim esa added my partner on my claim received 41.00 a week extra
  • kiewie111
    kiewie111 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    If you are on esa make sure you are not in a universal credit full digital area cause if you have any changes to your esa they will stop your claim then you have to go to universal credit 
  • bigwill
    bigwill Member Posts: 1 Listener
    This benifit is the most terryfying benefit i have ever been on i was nearly evicted from my home as u.c would not send my rent directly to my landlord he took legal action against me and lied that i had 6months arrears i went thro hell for 6months and had to defend myself in a court of law for 2 days against a real criminal lawyer but i won as i had the evidence to show irregulrities in the landlords accounts i won my case and was rehoused now the local authority is hounding me as i had to sign my lease 3 weeks before i cood move in and had already paid my months rent to my previous landlord ..but it is so difficult to budget do you go get everything for the month or do you tey and spread your money about i have tryed both and always end up skint .before u.c i had my housing benefit paid direct and got my dole money fortnughtly of approx £150 i could manage now i cant predict what i need or may need in a cpl of weeks what if sonething tuns up ..this benifit has brought me misery ..ive had periods of anxiety and depression i have been waiting 6 weeks now for the new scotfair scheme to try get back to work another goverment scheme thats useless fight against this benifit its destroyng lifescand puttin people in debt also check your loan repayment as at least 4 people i know had an extra deduction from there initial loan so do check that ...give me bak my fortnites money please ...


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.