Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
CP Startle Reflex at the Cinema & Audio Description Headphones
I have a severe startle reflex and normally try to avoid going to the cinema but I have to go next week for a relative's birthday. I've used ear plugs before to try and reduce my startle response but they didn't really work. I'm now considering trying the audio description headphones and wondering if anybody has any experience of these? I had considered listening to some music through my own headphones but I'm worried my music might disturb others during quiet parts of the film. If anyone has any advice on minimising the startle reflex at the cinema I'd be grateful. The last time I went to the cinema a few years ago, I jumped so high during a horror film trailer I lost sitting balance and fell out of my seat. The couple in front of me complained to the cinema staff as I kept accidentally kicking their seats when I jumped. The people behind also started tutting every time I jumped and jokingly offered me a Calms tablet at the end. I am now very anxious about going back to the cinema.
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.