Filling in PIP forms — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Filling in PIP forms

NickT Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited April 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am joining as my wife has been disabled for 36 years. Her health is deteriorating and I am finding it harder to help her. We are now having to fill in PIP forms to keep her disability allowance and are finding it difficult.  Any help would be appreciated. 


  • Alex
    Alex Scope Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi Nick,

    Welcome to the community. There are lots of people here who have gone through the PIP process who I'm sure can help you.

    CAB have a great step by step guide here to filling in the form:

    One great tip (I think I've read from @Matilda) - is to remember when answering the questions that your wife must be able to complete an activity reliably in a reasonable time.

    Another thing that's mentioned on the CAB site is that you should answer for the help your wife needs rather than the help she gets (for example "Do you need help from another person to wash or bathe?" should be answered "Yes" If your wife needs help from another person but doesn't currently get it.)

    Remember that if you don't get the result you want - many people are successful in appealing the decision.

  • NickT
    NickT Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Many thanks we will look at your site. 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 603 Pioneering
    Your wife only needs help half the time and it only has to reasonable. For example, I'm partially sighted and have issues dressing myself. I can do it, but what I can't do without difficulty is do up small buttons, laces, tell if my clothes are clean or match, etc.

    Only answer "no" (as in, no help needed) if your wife if able to carry out the activity in a safe, reliable manner and is able to repeat it. That is, she must be able to do the activity in at least half the time a non-disabled person can and must be able to do comfortably, it must not be painful, etc.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    Hi @Nystagmite I think you mean if it takes Nick's wife more than twice as long to do something than an able bodied person to mention this in the claim form...:) @Nick have a look at the PIP points system a number of websites have them listed. it will give you an idea of the criteria for each one. Choose which one best describes your wife's disability and how it affects her and why she needs help. Don't worry too much at this stage as there is plenty of opportunity to give more information as the process goes on. Send in as much medical evidence as you can and make sure that the DWP send this to your assessor if you are called in for a F2F assessment. If you don't think your wife could cope with a face to face assessment give reasons in Q15 as that is the 1st thing to be decided after your claim is received. Keep posting and you'll get lots of helpful advice before each stage of the claim.    
  • NickT
    NickT Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thanks for all your replies and help I've looked on the CA site and read your comments all have helped and I feel much more confident in helping my wife fill in the forms. I will keep updates coming and thanks again. 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 603 Pioneering

    wildlife said:

    Hi @Nystagmite I think you mean if it takes Nick's wife more than twice as long to do something than an able bodied person to mention this in the claim form...:)     

    I did, yes. Sorry - can't always explain things properly.
  • NickT
    NickT Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi all thanks for the help I looked at the CAB site and downloaded the help on Filling in PIP claim form. It has helped.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NickT how are you getting on with the PIP process for your wife?
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.