Hand disorder, advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hand disorder, advice please

wildlife Member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
Hi Can anyone help. I'm not asking for a diagnosis or medical advice apart from which direction to go in. The middle finger of my left hand has become painful and over night some times my fingers curl up and I cannot straighten them. This morning there was a clicking sensation in the joint of my middle finger as it straighened out. I've been seeing an orthopaedic specialist with a foot problem and have an appointment on Friday. Should I mention my hand or will he just refer me back to my GP. I visited my GP specifically with this problem a couple of weeks ago but it wasn't clicking and I forgot to mention the pain as it hadn't been too bad up till now but is getting worse. She just said it could be a tendon tightening up overnight and it wasn't serious and left it at that. I'm not happy and want it looked at again. Has anyone else had anything like this and what do you suggest I do next?


  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Go back to your GP and get a referral. 

    I wouldn't mention an unrelated issue to your orthopaedic specialist.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Nystagmite Thanks I thought that's what I'd have to do...
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    In my experience, there are orthopaedic surgeons who specialise in hands and those who specialise in feet!

    You could ask your GP to refer you to a hand therapist (who would be a physio not a doctor).  Might help.  I had a few sessions with a hand therapist.  There are exercises available as well as aids like splints, and sponges and play dough to squeeze.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Matilda Thanks. It changes so much from day to day and just want to know what's causing it and if there's anything I can do to stop it getting worse. I'm left handed so I'm agrivating it all the time. I have physio once a month and she just manipulates it but it doesn't make any difference. I'll ask my GP about a hand therapist..
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger

    My hand therapist told me that the exercises and aids could stop the deformity in my hands getting worse.  She was a specialist in hand therapy and very good, working in a hospital.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    An update, I've now been diagnosed with trigger finger and I can have an injection of Steroids into the joint of my left middle finger. Firstly has anyone else had this and how painful is the injection and does it work. I am left handed so don't want to lose the use of my dominant hand. Also interested in DWP's attitude to trigger finger as regards a reason to need help with preparing food for my next PIP review. I have other upper body pain and strength issues but despite physio evidence none of it was accepted on my claim last year.  
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this, @wildlife. I've had a look through our active users and you appear to be the first to discuss this. However, I did find this blog post on trigger finger care that you may be interested in.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Thanks Pippa, Yes it's definitely what the problem is. I did hear that this was more or less cured when someone else had the Steroid injection but would like confirmation before I put myself through any treatment that might not work. I knit for a charity that send clothes to hospitals for preemies and babies that didn't make it and I do want to carry on as long as I can..

  • deb74
    deb74 Member Posts: 777 Pioneering
    hi wildlife i have trigger finger. my mom also had it it can be very painful and really frustrating. i haven't seen anyone about it as i have had it since i was a child. i have just learnt to live with it.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    edited March 2018

    Hi @wildlife

    I would also like to suggest that you ask for a referral to the hand therapy clinic as they may be able to help you manage your condition 

    A hand therapist is a registered occupational therapist or physiotherapist who specialises in the rehabilitation of patients with conditions affecting the hands and upper limb.    

    A hand therapist’s high level of specialization requires advanced post-graduate education and clinical experience. He or she can provide advice regarding exercise, preventative care, aids to daily living and ergonomic consultation.

    A hand therapist often works alongside consultants and surgeons.

    Hope you are able to get some improvement soon

    Best Wishes


    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.