claiming carers , im not sure...

jackiep Community member Posts: 1 Listener
we have been awarded DLA on behalf of my 15-year-old granddaughter who lives with us, I am her only carer, my husband is on ESA income-related benefit for COPD , should I claim carers allowance? 


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Trailblazing
    Hi jackiep, 

    If you look after her for 35 hours a week or more then yes you can claim Carer's Allowance. There is also a £116 earnings from employment limit to claim CA. I know this doesn't apply to you now if your husband is getting IR ESA but just something to think about in the future when/if you start work.
    You will be entitled to Carer's Allowance of £62.70 a week. Your husband's IR ESA will be reduced leaving you £34.95 a week better off overall.