Bedroom Tax and Moving — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Bedroom Tax and Moving

Shmoo Member Posts: 6 Connected
Hi All,
I live alone in a 2 bed council flat.  I have been paying the bedroom tax since it began even though i have a carer stay at nights.   This has put me into debt and its just gettiing deeper!  I really don't know where to or who to turn to for help.
I also want to do a swap with my daughter as her flat is much more accessible for me and is adapted for a disabled person. 
Can anyone advice me please on what i can do as i have spoken to other disabled people and they have discounted bedroom tax or dont pay it at all.  My housing manager is not helpful at all.
My mental health is suffering severely, I live with chronic pain daily and just really really need help please.
I am looking forward to some feedback or advice.


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shmoo, I hope you're feeling as well as possible today.

    I'm sorry to hear that you're getting into debt, that must be really worrying for you. There's some information on Bedroom Tax on the DR-UK website that states that you may be exempt from the charge if you have a regular overnight carer and you receive over a particular threshold of PIP/DLA. Is this applicable to you?

    I'm also so sorry to hear that your mental health is suffering and that you're in pain. Do you have support around you to help you cope?

    I'm also tagging in @Debbie_Scope in the hope that she'll be able to advise you on how to proceed. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shmoo, we've also just found some information on swapping council houses on the GOV.UK website. Have a look and let me know what you think!
  • Shmoo
    Shmoo Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi Pippa,
    Thank you for your reply. I will check out what you have sent me.  I have a problem with moving/swapping as they will not let me move to another 2 bed property.  I did have a lot of support but not so much now. 
    I will let you know after i have the info you sent if it was helpful :-) 
    Thankyou again
  • Shmoo
    Shmoo Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi, I am finding it a little confusing, I get confused very easily which then leads to stress and anxiety! Grrrrrrr
    It says I am entilted to a 2 bedroom but my council/housing say that i am not entitled.
    I also want to swap flats with my daughter but my local housing office say no. 
    So i am really not sure on what to do next? 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.