'Sex and autism' - my feature for MetroUK — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

'Sex and autism' - my feature for MetroUK

Options
VioletFenn
VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
Hi all, 

I recently wrote a feature for Metro about how it is to be an autistic adult coping with sex and relationships :

"Often, we struggle to communicate – we may have learned how to look as though we understand you, but we’re probably interpreting your thoughts and motives completely differently to how you intended.
And we might have sensory issues – perhaps we can’t cope with loud noise or intense emotion, or maybe we struggle to concentrate at all and need something to focus on in order to stay in the moment.
In addition, many of us – myself most definitely included – seem to be missing the ‘verbal filter’ that other people have, which means we often say or do things that seem completely logical to us, but confusing and potentially shocking to those whose brains are neurotypical."

You can see the full piece here: http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/10/no-autistic-people-are-not-sexless-our-sex-lives-are-as-varied-as-anyones-7141226/

I managed to get some great input from other people - I'd be really interested to know your thoughts on the topic! 

Violet,
ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.