Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
My recent experience with a new wheelchair
I'd like to post my experience recently with AMY Systems and the wheelchair I purchased from them. I've been disabled, and using a power chair, for 22 years. I got this new chair one year ago but the seat recliner broke at six months and the batteries that came from the factory became nearly unusable at six months as well. With the help of my local dealer and AMY's rep we worked to address both problems. Ultimately, after more than four months the recliner was repaired (hopefully). AMY denied warrantying the batteries even with the advocacy of their rep who told me they had switched to cheaper batteries and mine were unacceptable. I basically had to stay home, not keeping MD appointments, for fear of getting stranded without power or having the seating break during a weight shift. I reached out to AMY to discuss these issues and after several weeks they have yet to get back to me. I had to fix the battery issue with my local dealers help and keep my independence. I am very competent in maintaining and properly using wheelchairs and the AMY rep acknowledged the problems I was having had nothing to do with me. Hopefully this information will help other people make an informed choice as to their future wheelchair needs.
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.