Servicle spondylosis — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Servicle spondylosis

tina1888 Member Posts: 85 Courageous
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone my Husband has sevical spondylosis he works full time as a taxi driver but since the  end of last year he has had to work less and less hours due to the pain and the fact he can barely walk anymore.
He needs help to get out a chair get in and out of bed etc etc etc
He went for pip medical and was given no points at all on any section 0.
Has anyone got any advice on this my Husband being a man doesn't want to complain or cause a fuss. Any advice would be great x thanx


  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Connected
    edited May 2018
    Unfortunately like the majority of men (me included) and being British, it is a very rare thing for them to admit to anything that could be construed as a weakness. The general statement of ' I can do it - stop fussing' typifies most males. 
    Let's be honest who wants to go for an assessment with a complete stranger and lay out all of what you can't do? Doesn't do much for the self worth.
    However being a typical male with those traits will not get you the points you need for PIP. You have to be like my wife (a woman) and sit down and explain to the stranger in great detail as to what you have difficulty with and why.

    Grief the number of arguments we have had in our house over this subject especially when I am being forced (threatened/blackmailed) into seeing the GP for what I consider to be a minor issue that eventually does end up a major one and having to be rushed into hospital in an ambulance.

    Good luck in your efforts - men can be very stubborn!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tina1888
    Have you considered appealing the decision? We have some support in appealing here

    Does you husband have an occupational therapist? Occupational therapy can help you with practical tasks if you:
    • are physically disabled
    • are recovering from an illness or operation
    • have learning disabilities
    • have mental health problems
    • are getting older

    Occupational therapists work with people of all ages and can look at all aspects of daily life in your home, school or workplace.

    They look at activities you find difficult and see if there's another way you can do it.

    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.