ESA & Higher rate mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA & Higher rate mobility

maymay Member Posts: 2 Listener


I have been trying to help my mum with her benefits and getting in a bit of a mess! I have managed to work out that she receives ESA/SG and also DLA for mobility only. My mum was assessed 5 years ago and hasn't heard anything since, I'm not sure who sent for the assessment but I know that she was originally receiving Incapacity Benefit which was changed to ESA.

Is this right that someone can only receive the mobility part for DLA? She receives the higher allowance too, I am a bit confused as to why she only gets that and not the living part?

Any help you could give would be very much appreciated.

Thank You


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,392 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes it's possible to only receive the mobility award, lots of people do. DLA no longer exists and she will eventually be invited to apply for PIP.

    For the ESA, i wouldn't worry about it, they'll catch up with her at some point i'm sure. When they do they'll send her another ESA50 form and re-assess her.

    DLA/PIP and ESA are totally different benefits.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi maymay,

    When a decision is made on a DLA claim, their entitlement to the daily living component and the mobility component is assessed, and you can get either one or both depending on how your health conditions affect you.
    If your health problems have got worse since the last application, you can ask for a review, but as poppy123456 says, you cannot ask for a review of DLA anymore, it would have to be a new claim for PIP, which is paid for the same purpose but has a different criteria. 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.